Account Reconciliation Tool (RCM) - Discover / Discovery - Is it possible to manually add line items

NolanPopow
New Contributor II

Hi all,

We've recently implemented RCM and I have one issue I'm trying to figure out. Certain accounting teams want to do reconciliations (for SOX controls) on certain accounts that have always had 0$ balances in the account month ends. I'm currently lost on how to get these into discovery - since it seems there has to be a balance at least one time for it to be populated there.

Is the a manual way to add a couple of all-time 0$ balance accounts that way there will be a reconciliation option for it?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

HeatherB_AAS
New Contributor II

One final option to consider (another workaround). You could create a temporary data source that uses a flat file source and load to the same import step containing the regular balances. Within the flat file, load the $0 balances for just those accounts you need. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

HeatherB_AAS
New Contributor II

Hi Nolan, not to my knowledge, no. Can you import the $0 balance into Stage for the period of Discovery (turn off zero suppression on your data source for that period?). You can turn it back on after you've run Discovery. You just need those zero balances in Stage at time the Discover button is pressed. 

NolanPopow
New Contributor II

Hi Heather,

That could be a good solution for some, but turning off zero suppression for stage would result in hundreds of new reconciliations that we have never brought in from SAP. 

I did find a helpful workaround from one of our consultants (Michael Malandra from Direct Analytics). We can create a new account group in the RCM manually, then add a 0 balance account to it as the target. This will create a 0$ account reconciliation, then all we have to worry about is if that account ever gets loaded with an ending balance to get rid of the manual account group we setup as a workaround.

NicoleBruno
Contributor III

Hi Nolan, 

We actually had the opposite issue which might help you - we had an account that's usually a zero balance at month end and shouldn't be part of the reconciliations come in with a balance mid-month so now it's forever part of the reconciliations. Could you have someone load a balance to the account, import it in your actuals, Discover it in RCM then reverse the balance in the base level system? Once it's in RCM, it'll always be there so you won't have to worry about watching it going forward with your current solution. 

Nicole, I actually did think of doing that as a last resort (getting the accounting team involved to post 1$ to the base system)! I will definately consider it as an option as well.

HeatherB_AAS
New Contributor II

One final option to consider (another workaround). You could create a temporary data source that uses a flat file source and load to the same import step containing the regular balances. Within the flat file, load the $0 balances for just those accounts you need. 

Please sign in! NolanPopow