Attribute member

L_OS
New Contributor II

Hi everyone,

Can someone explain how the UD Member property "Is attribute member" works?

I would like to assign to my UD5 members some attributes and be able to create CubeView base on the attributes.

As an example, my UD5 could be Customers and the attribute I would like to assign to each Customer is the type of Customer (Retail, non-retail etc). 

I thought I would use the "Text 1" property of my Customer members to input the type of costumers. I would then create a separate UD5 dimension "CustomerAttributes" and list all the attributes. Finally, enable the "Is attribute memeber" property of my "CustomerAttributes" dimension members and do a comparison between the value in the Text 1 of my Customer members and the value in the "Comparison Text 1"  of my attribute members.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

PeterFu
Contributor II

Hi,

See the case below, I described how user-defined attributes can be used.

https://community.onestreamsoftware.com/t5/Reporting/Summing-CV-Member-Expansions/m-p/6460

Peter

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

PeterFu
Contributor II

Hi,

See the case below, I described how user-defined attributes can be used.

https://community.onestreamsoftware.com/t5/Reporting/Summing-CV-Member-Expansions/m-p/6460

Peter

L_OS
New Contributor II

Thank you Peter.

I have followed your approach and it works if I use an empty UD dimension.

If I use the same UD dimension where I have my members, then I get invalid cells:

L_OS_1-1651581643997.png

Same UD dimension:

L_OS_2-1651581666714.png    

Using UD7 empty dimension:

L_OS_3-1651581788974.png

Any thoughts around that?

PeterFu
Contributor II

Hi,

Yes, you have to use another user-defined dimension. I think the system is only regrouping your transactions in the other UD-dimension based on your formula. The good thing is that this is done on-the-fly, no consolidation is needed if I remember correctly.

Peter 

ChristianW
Valued Contributor

Hi Peter

How are you doing?

Consolidation is only needed, if you like to use the attributes with entity.

Cheers

Christian

Hi Christian,

I am fine thank you. Really busy with a lot of OneStream work! 🙂 How are you doing?

Thanks a lot for the info!

Peter

TonyToniTone
Contributor II

From a performance perspective, we've been building some benchmarks on the impact of using Attribute members.  As a precaution of turning on Attributes on members, there is some considerations.  Below is a chart representing a 12 month consolidation when turning on X amount of Attribute members for a data volume of ~ 392,000 data records.  In the testing, ~ 25 Attribute members will start impacting consolidation times.  So if you plan on using more than 25 Attribute members, I would suggest doing performance testing in an environment that has equivalent resources to Production.  Make sure that deciding to use this feature doesn't adversely effect other processes already in place without testing.  

TonyToniTone_0-1651601663871.png