cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enabling Cultures

BrassRoch
New Contributor II

Cultures have been enabled in my current client application to accommodate non-English member descriptions. The Metadata Builder template downloaded from Marketplace does not accommodate columns to import the culture and foreign language descriptions. Does anyone have suggestions on how to load these properties?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

NicolasArgente
Contributor II

Hi Rochelle!
If you have the culture in excel you could create an XML from there to update only the field with the culture you want to change. (See example below)
Do not forget to change the dim type, the name of the account and the culture codes with descriptions.
Be carefull not to have a too long description. (max 200 characters i think)
Hope that helps
Nic

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<OneStreamXF version="6.3.1.12121">
    <metadataRoot>
        <dimensions>
            <dimension type="Account" name="CorpAccounts">
                <properties />
                <members>
                    <member name="CurRatio" description="Current Ratio default" >
                        <descriptions>
                            <description culture="en-US" description="Current Ratio EN" />
                            <description culture="fr-FR" description="Current Ratio FRFR" />
                        </descriptions>
                    </member>
                </members>
                <relationships />
            </dimension>
        </dimensions>
    </metadataRoot>
</OneStreamXF>

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

NicolasArgente
Contributor II

Hi Rochelle!
If you have the culture in excel you could create an XML from there to update only the field with the culture you want to change. (See example below)
Do not forget to change the dim type, the name of the account and the culture codes with descriptions.
Be carefull not to have a too long description. (max 200 characters i think)
Hope that helps
Nic

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<OneStreamXF version="6.3.1.12121">
    <metadataRoot>
        <dimensions>
            <dimension type="Account" name="CorpAccounts">
                <properties />
                <members>
                    <member name="CurRatio" description="Current Ratio default" >
                        <descriptions>
                            <description culture="en-US" description="Current Ratio EN" />
                            <description culture="fr-FR" description="Current Ratio FRFR" />
                        </descriptions>
                    </member>
                </members>
                <relationships />
            </dimension>
        </dimensions>
    </metadataRoot>
</OneStreamXF>

Thanks for your reply Nicolas.

MindStream MetaData Manager | MindStream Analytics already does the XML creation based on cultures available.

TerryLedet
New Contributor III

This was a good blog! Very helpful. I see how you can switch the culture for an individual which is really cool. I was wondering how to display both english and french - specifically in a metadata report that shows the member and it's properties. I just want to show the french description property on that metadata report only. 

sdersnah
New Contributor

I have a related question. Once we have alternate culture descriptions setup, is there a way to call a specific languages description in code? We have a report where I'd like to display both the default English description and the French Description of all our members. 

I have a UD8 Description member that is a DynamicCalc to pull description on the report: 

Dim UD1Desc As String = api.Pov.UD1.Description
Return UD1Desc

I'm looking for an equivalent for the French language item. I found this but not sure how this could apply to get the  French description: api.SI.Culture.Equals("fr-FR")

It is not a description. If you use member info, you should see something like Descriptions. I think that is a dictionary. Not in front of a system now.