Tips to Designate Dev vs Prod

aricgresko
Contributor III

SOURCE: ONESTREAM CHAMPIONS

Does anyone have any tips or best practices to make it clearly visible when an admin is in Production vs. Development? Obviously next to user name we can see Production or Development, but other than that one word, they look identical. I’m thinking of something like a big red “DEV” logo at the top ribbon next to OneStream XF or something similar to that.

25 REPLIES 25

That's an easy one.

Thanks! Where in your application is the Application Server Configuration File located? I cannot find it unfortunately.

Dependent on the configuration… In Celvin’s image, the path of the XFAppServerConfig.xml file “Application Server Configuration” is located at C:\OneStreamShare\Confiig. The other common location is C:\OneStream or C:\OneStream\FileShare. In a multi-server environment, there will be a common “shared” location. The first server, I would check is the web server(s) in the environment.

SRBlak
New Contributor II

Do you just write the color, or do you have to use a HTML color code ?

TerryLedet
New Contributor III

You can just get the color. For example, Red.

TerryLedet_0-1642013194880.png

SRBlak
New Contributor II

I have tried, however was unsuccessful.
Does all servers’ IIS has to be restarted or only the App Servers ?

krgds Søren

RafaelVidal
New Contributor III

Should be enough if you restart only the App Server, but... Just in case restart the entire IIS, there is no damage. 

NicoleBruno
Contributor III

Hello!

We’re on the cloud and so asked OS support to make this update for us:
6-24-2021%208-30-01%20AM

In excel it looks like this:
6-24-2021%208-31-11%20AM

We also name all our dev apps DEV_ and then the 2 digit month, 2 digit day and 2 digit year we made the copy from prod. For example, if I copied prod today for a dev app, it would be named DEV_062421.

Hope that’s useful!

Does this work in Azure hosted and when your Dev and Prod are just different applications in the same instance? In other words does each application have its own Environment color or does that update the instance?

scottr
New Contributor III

it works in azure, you just submit a ticket to OS support (if they are your hosting provider)

it is by instance. all applications in the environment would have the same color and environment name.

Thanks then that doesnt help us since dev and prod both in same instance

In continue to what Michelle mentioned , that color coding is applicable per instance / environment.

if you have 2 applications in the same environment, its not possible to differentiate.

we named the application with suffix Prod & Dev… just a suggestion.

That’s our problem too… Dev and Prod in the same environment. Ours are named OneStreamProd and OneStreamDev. It helps, but it’s easy sometimes if you are working in both Dev and Prod to accidently do something in the wrong environment. That’s why I was hoping Dev could be bright red to mitigate that. Maybe we submit an enhancement request??

Definitely submit an enhancement request!

This is very similar to what we have.

Hi Nicole

So if I understand you well, they changed the name of the application to development? 

Thank you 

Nouria

Hi Nouria, 

We name our own apps when they're created/copied (we always copy from PROD) and we name the dev apps with the prefix of DEV. For example: DEV_061522

NicoleBruno_0-1656332149746.png

Thank you Nicole

We will thus ask for the colour to be changed- this is a hosted environment so users can see the difference as well. 

JackLacava
Community Manager
Community Manager

These options are now available directly in the application, if you have enough rights:

JackLacava_0-1676561658542.png

In what version is this option?

I want to say 6.8 but I have no way to check if that's correct. It's definitely there on 7.2.

mgreenberg
Contributor II

But again if you have one cloud instance and you have dev and prod applications all in that instance you can not have different colors.  You can only change the color for the instance although now you can do it yourself.

Exactly, I'm more concerned with application colors in the same environment....We should be able to have different colors per application within the same environment.  

I honestly couldn't tell you the last time I logged into our Dev Environment.  All we use is our Prod Environment for our Production app, Development app, Proof Of Concept app, etc.

I agree. I know this is nowhere near enough, but some mitigation can be put in place at the Dashboard level, like setting backgrounds with a Parameter that will have different values in Prod ("white") and Dev ("yellow").

For actual dedicated features, have a look in Ideastream - I have a feeling this has been requested.

Please sign in! aricgresko