Help UsingScript functions and finding complete Excel Add-in documentation

SethB
New Contributor II

Hi all, very new to OS and am having some issues using the XFGetCellUsingScript() function and UsingScript functions generally. Specifically, the GetCellUsingScript function can't seem to handle more than 2 POV changes to an original POV but using the XFGetCellUsingScriptEx() which has 16 POV arguments doesn't seem to work at all, it just returns #VALUEs. The XFGetCell function is comically long and inflexible (doesn't work with any arrays or text joining functions that I've tried) so [...]UsingScript[...] functions seem like a much cleaner way to go but I'm having serious difficulty learning to use any of them because the documentation for the add-in functions isn't very good. The descriptions of the functions under the Retrieve Functions section is not complete and it doesn't define the function arguments or give examples. Any thoughts, best practices or helpful blog posts you could share would be much appreciated.   

2 REPLIES 2

JackLacava
Community Manager
Community Manager

In terms of general tips, have a look at #3 in this post.

Also, if you're having trouble defining POVs, an alternative approach is to build a Quick View, then use the function "Convert to XFGetCells", which will do all the work for you; you can then copypaste that formula where you need it.

Look into Navigator under Full Catalog; if you search for Excel, there are a lot of resources including demos. We also cover Excel functions as part of our Application Build for Administrators and Building Basic Reports courses - see the Training section of the main site.

If you think functions don't show the expected behaviour, by all means open a case with Support.

SethB
New Contributor II

@JackLacava thank you so much! These are exactly what I was hoping someone could point me too.