Summing CV Member Expansions

NathanW
New Contributor

I have seen a few posts related to this topic but have yet to find any concrete answers.  

We are looking for a way to sum members when going to the base level with a where clause without seeing all base members.  For example, we would like to get a sum of all of our Value Added Products.  Our UD4 dimension lists our products and we stipulate whether they are Value Added or not by putting "VAS" on Text Field 1 of the base member within UD4.  Ideally, we could compare our Total Sales at a top level with our Value Added Sales without seeing each individual products.  We are looking to report on all of our Value Added Products without seeing each base member.  We have tried a few business rules and other suggested avenues but we are not seeing the results we had hoped for.  If anyone has any insights on this that would be greatly appreciated. 

1 REPLY 1

PeterFu
Contributor II

Hi Nathan,

If you are looking for a way to separate out which products (UD4) are consideres VAS by using the text1 field, I think you can use the attribute function on the User-defined dimensions. If you for example separate the Value added products and non-Value added products in UD5, then you can just choose the VAS member in UD5 to get the sum of your products being defined as Value Added. See print screen below

PeterFu_0-1649091512857.png

This will include all products tagged with VAS in text1 in UD4. So, only add UD5 to a column and set it to VAS. The great benefit of this is that you can actually have a product being Non-Value added product in the beginning, but then later changed to Value added product. This is because the Text1 field can change over time and be set differently for different scenario types. I use it in my own application to get my billable hours my tagging my different tasks (in UD) with billable or not-billable. Great function! Especially since the the Text fields can change over time.

I hope this helps solving your problem, even though it's a bit different than what you originally is looking for.

Peter