Task Scheduler

NicoleBruno
Contributor III

SOURCE: ONESTREAM CHAMPIONS

Hi all!

We just upgraded to 6.4 last week and have migrated our data management jobs running via power shell script onto Task Scheduler. A few questions:

1. Do you set these jobs up with a certain person’s user name? Do you know what happens if that user is later disabled? (I’ve submitted a OS support ticket for that last question).
  2. If you don’t set them up under a specific person’s user name, how do you set them up? We have an “Administrator” user and “OSAutomation” user that I’m considering using to keep these auto jobs separate from my regular OS activity.

Any insight would be appreciated as I’m trying to gauge how other users have set up Task Scheduler while also asking OS support for their best practices.

Thanks!
-Nicole

5 REPLIES 5

azmatb
New Contributor

Hello,
I suggest using a service account, of which the password never expires. This way you don’t need to worry about disabled accounts or locked out accounts. And keep the password in a safe place.
Thanks,
Azmat

Nicole:

We just upgraded to 6.4.0 from 6.3.1 yesterday!

For our PowerShell scripts that interact with OneStream, we set up a native user within OneStream Security to act as an internal service account exclusively for executing automated tasks. I intend to use this account once we transition one of our PowerShell scripts to Task Scheduler for running automated consolidations during our business planning season. We’ll still have PowerShell scripts for instances where there are dependencies or actions required outside of OneStream.

For your instance, OSAutomation might be an option if you know the credentials. I only use the Administrator account if for some reason I am not able to log in.

We did the same thing. Created a service account and you need to log in as that user to set up the jobs as you cant assign a task to a user. Also something to keep in mind there is no notification when a job fails. I put in an enhancement request for emails when a scheduled job fails.

We also have service accounts set up for scheduled jobs. One way we got around not having success/failure notifications on the Task Scheduler jobs themselves was to add a custom business rule step at the end of our Data Management jobs that sends an email upon successful completion. Even though I don’t get notified if a job fails, I can at least be watching for the success emails; if I don’t get them then I know I need to research why not.

Thanks, Michelle - I’ll submit a ticket to add Endo to your enhancement request!
And thanks for the work around suggestion, Kathryn.
I have a meeting set up next week with our IT lead because we’re cloud based and use Azure SSO which is tagged to our active directory so I’m interested to see the logistics around setting up a service/dummy user.