Data Management Profile

OSAdmin
Valued Contributor
Originally posted by James Kirkby

I have a question. I'd like to give a select couple of users from a systems admin team access to specific data management jobs that export OS data for CSV purposes so they can cross-validate between systems. I've set up and assigned a role granting them access to the data management admin page; then set the security for maintenance group on all jobs to admin so they couldn't edit any jobs. I wanted to add their jobs to a profile so they could find them easier for organization purposes, but couldn't really tell what the point of the profiles was? When I assign a group to a profile and click on that profile or group, it seems to just let me edit security settings and that's it. I can't run any of the jobs from a profile. Am I missing something? The admin guide is vague here.

Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6

OSAdmin
Valued Contributor
Originally posted by Jeff Jones

James,

You are not missing anything.  The profiles are just used to group together a set of Data Management Groups but it is not used to run them.  The only area where you would run the data management job would be within the groups section as you have found.  This is the main area where you would design the Data Management Sequences and Steps and execute them.

You would need to grant the user "Access Group" permission to the DM Group in order to allow them to execute the Data Management Sequence and if you wanted to allow them to change items in the Group they would need to have "Maintenance Access".  The users should only see the groups that they have access to in the screen to avoid any confusion.

Jeff

SKMundra
New Contributor III

Hello Jeff,

Your comments here are really helpful.

However I have one specific query as below:

If I want to allow a user to be able to edit parameters of only one of of the DM Group and not to allow edit anything else - which Security roles need to be looked at.

I can see only way to allow editing is to allow Security role 'ManageData' BUT this allows everything and all DM tasks and even user can setup a new DM group - which is really risky and can not be allowed. 

Kindly help with your comments if I am missing somethin here.

Our current status is, we can not allow users to edit the DM tasks and we keep on making parameter changes for business users, which is really a big pain. You guidance here would be really very helpful.

Thanks

Satish  

OSAdmin
Valued Contributor

Thanks - so what is the purpose of a profile? What's an example of where I would use it in the application.

James

OSAdmin
Valued Contributor

James,

I am asking around currently and will get back with you on this, but from what I can see there is not an area in the application where a DM Profile would be assigned.  This may have been something that was originally in the product and had been removed, but the ability to create DM Profile groups has been left behind.

I'll let you know if I find out different.

Jeff

OSAdmin
Valued Contributor

James,

I confirmed with development that this is currently not being used and may be used for a future feature.

Jeff

OSAdmin
Valued Contributor

Thanks Jeff. Appreciate the response.