Loading version 6.8 application on version 7.4

Wikus
New Contributor III

Hi,

I am getting many metadata errors when loading a version 6.8 extract in a version 7.4 application.

Are there differences in the xml structure between versions?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

RobbSalzmann
Valued Contributor

In this situation I usually prefer to upgrade the application using the upgrade process provided by the OneStream Database Configuration Utility:

1. Do a full extract of the existing application.
  2. Create a new application 
  3. Using the 6.8 application UI, load the extracted application from step 1 to the new application created in step 2.
  4. Using the OneStream Database Configuration Utility on the 7.4 server instance create a connection to the application created and loaded in steps 2-3
  5. The application will appear in the list of applications, right click it and choose upgrade.  You may have to repeat this step several times to get the application to 7.4.
  6. Now you can open the upgraded application in the 7.4 desktop

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

NicolasArgente
Valued Contributor

Hi @Wikus !
There are indeed some difference. A simple one : The workspace as been added and therefore the XML load will not work, it is however an easy change to do in the XML. Some other changes will be totally transparent for the system.
Could you provide us an example of a line you have an error?
Are you installing on the same server that got upgraded?
Thanks

Connect with me on:
LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/nicolas-argente/
If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else.

Wikus
New Contributor III

Hi Nicolas,

Thank you for your reply. I upgraded the app before moving to the new server. Looks like the easiest way.

Steven
Contributor

Yes, there are various attributes that have been added and the big one is the workspace that has been added.  The workspace should not give you errors however when you are going from 6.8 to 7.4; it should just put it in the Default workspace.

What are the errors that you are getting?  You may just need to add an attribute to the xml.

Can you export from 7.4 and then compare the xml to 6.4 to see what is missing?

Wikus
New Contributor III

Hi Steven,

It looks like upgrade is the best way to go.

RobbSalzmann
Valued Contributor

In this situation I usually prefer to upgrade the application using the upgrade process provided by the OneStream Database Configuration Utility:

1. Do a full extract of the existing application.
  2. Create a new application 
  3. Using the 6.8 application UI, load the extracted application from step 1 to the new application created in step 2.
  4. Using the OneStream Database Configuration Utility on the 7.4 server instance create a connection to the application created and loaded in steps 2-3
  5. The application will appear in the list of applications, right click it and choose upgrade.  You may have to repeat this step several times to get the application to 7.4.
  6. Now you can open the upgraded application in the 7.4 desktop