Cube View - Top 10 result view.

bharathsm
New Contributor

Hi All, 

I 'm trying to build a cube view report, it has numerous rows in it, However I need only TOP10 results. Could you please help me how do I select only Top10 results based on the total value? 

Assume that it is sales related information, Report has the details about all location sales. However, I would like to see only TOP10 location results (Based on the total sales)

It would be helpful if anyone could assist on this ASAP.

Thanks,

Bharath

2 REPLIES 2

JackLacava
Community Manager
Community Manager

A cubeview is not the best for this sort of requirement. You could, in theory, write a custom Member List that does all calculations and returns the ordered list of members to display, but it feels overkill and it's likely to contain mistakes.

I would suggest the following instead:

1. Create your CV to retrieve data for all locations
  2. Create a Data Adapter (in Workspaces ) of type Cube View MD, pointed to that Cube View
  3. Add that adapter to a component like Report, BiViewer, or Pivot Grid
  4. Use filters in those components to retrieve only the data you need. Example for BiViewer using a Grid widget:JackLacava_0-1713956826661.pngJackLacava_1-1713956830803.png

A similar alternative is to write a Dashboard DataSet rule that will do the filtering, and again wire it to a Report or BiViewer component through a Data Adapter (of type Method/Business Rule). That's fairly easy if you're familiar with that sort of thing (there are examples on the blog), but if you don't want to write code, the suggestion above is probably the best approach.

Similar approach using Report Component, which is more print-oriented than BiViewer (you will still need to configure a Data Adapter first):

1. Bring up Group and Sort toolview, which can be hidden by default:JackLacava_0-1713969074436.png
  2. Add a Sort on the field you're filtering
    JackLacava_1-1713969125357.png
  3. Restrict output to the top N records, using the Detail Count property of the Report object (might have to expand Report Print Options to see it):
    JackLacava_2-1713969182436.pngJackLacava_3-1713969215123.png