Which server to choose when setting a dashboard button to run a dashboard extender business rule?

AndreaF
Contributor III

Hi,

I have a button that runs a dashboard extender business rule.

AndreaF_1-1715173084536.png

Between the 4 server options available, which one should I choose when, and should I even care about choosing the right one (i.e. when does it make a difference)?

Thank you

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Krishna
Valued Contributor

@AndreaF  - You can choose any server I would recommend using General or Data Management because the Consolidation is used for Calculation & Consol, Stage for Data Integration Load etc... Hope this helps.

Thanks
Krishna

View solution in original post

JackLacava

OneStream can be laid out so that separate servers do different things. This is only necessary in large environments; in practice, often a single server will cover multiple roles.

Depending on what you're actually doing in your extender, it might make sense to direct execution to this or that type of server.

• If the rule is going to launch a DM job, it will make sense to to target the Data Management Server
  • if you're launching potentially long-running calculations, you can send it to the Consolidation server
  • if you're launching big import jobs or other heavy integration tasks, target the Stage server
  • For everything else, default to General.

As I mentioned, in practice a single server can carry out both Consolidation and Stage tasks, so even if you select different options your rules might end up running on the same server. However, from a best-practice perspective, it still makes sense to declare a preference where it makes sense, simply in order to future-proof your dashboards.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Krishna
Valued Contributor

@AndreaF  - You can choose any server I would recommend using General or Data Management because the Consolidation is used for Calculation & Consol, Stage for Data Integration Load etc... Hope this helps.

Thanks
Krishna

JackLacava

OneStream can be laid out so that separate servers do different things. This is only necessary in large environments; in practice, often a single server will cover multiple roles.

Depending on what you're actually doing in your extender, it might make sense to direct execution to this or that type of server.

• If the rule is going to launch a DM job, it will make sense to to target the Data Management Server
  • if you're launching potentially long-running calculations, you can send it to the Consolidation server
  • if you're launching big import jobs or other heavy integration tasks, target the Stage server
  • For everything else, default to General.

As I mentioned, in practice a single server can carry out both Consolidation and Stage tasks, so even if you select different options your rules might end up running on the same server. However, from a best-practice perspective, it still makes sense to declare a preference where it makes sense, simply in order to future-proof your dashboards.