Consolidation slow when after copying from scenario to another

tkrekeler
New Contributor II

Hello, 

We are currently seeing slow consolidation times after we copy data from one scenario to another. If we run a force consolidation in the source scenario the full year takes around an hour or so. When running the consolidation in the target scenario it is taking 4+ hours to complete. Both scenarios are using the same scenario type.

Anyone have ideas on what could be causing this issue? Seems odd that the same data set would have such huge deviations in run times. This is the second quarter we have seen the issue. 

Thanks for your help!

Tim

5 REPLIES 5

JackLacava
Community Manager
Community Manager

Could be a Member Formula on the target Scenario, could be the Hybrid Scenario configuration (if you're using that), could be formulas that are actually Scenario-specific in some way, could be table indexes that need attention...

You could try working on individual Entity branches, to isolate where the problem might be.

Thanks for the response it doesn't seem to be any of the above as the scenario will force consolidate in about a 1/4 of the time. Its only on that first run following the copy. It's almost like OneStream is performing extra consolidation steps on the initial consolidation. Maybe building out data units records?

Hi Tim,

If I understand you correctly, you are doing Force Consolidate on the source scenario, but you do a normal Consolidate the first time on the destionation scenario. If that is the case, then I think I make sense that the the normal consolidation takes more time. The difference between the Force Consolidate and Consolidate is that when you do a Force Consolidate, the system will not check the status since it will consolidate everything from the first period, while a Consolidate will check the status of each entity and period. That is why the Force Consolidate will be quicker (given that you actually are consolidating the exact same data in 2 different scenarios). I think this is also describe in the Design and reference Guide. That means how you choose to consolidate your data will have an effect on the consolidation time. I hope this clarifies it.

Peter

Ah, ok, if you're seeing a different performance with a Force Consolidate on the target scenario, it's probably the DU status check that @PeterFu mentioned. We state this in training too: if you have 12 months already impacted, Force Consolidate will be faster than a regular Consolidate because it will skip the status check.

So your solution would be to use Force on the first consolidation too.

chul
Contributor III

Also ensure that you don't have a member formula on the target scenario as it will run first upon calculation/consolidation.

cds