Cubes in Essbase vs 1Stream

Davy
Contributor

Happy inflation and food shortages <Not!!>

Quick question. I have over 15 years experience in Essbase and find it confusing that we have multiple 1Stream cubes in one 1Stream application - but they all share the same outline!! I think I understand 1S extensibility.

Is there an article that explains the differences of Essbase vs 1Stream?

I would like to suggest to 1Stream developers to show cube name somewhere when I open a workflow. I don't see a way to tell if that workflow is for which cube!! very confusing.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ChristianW
Valued Contributor

1) One workflow controls/updates one Toplevel Cube and its descendants. An embedded cubeview can be used to input data in multiple, none related cubes, but these cube's input isn't controlled by the workflow (e.g. out of the box you can't lock it within the workflow).

2) You can always look at a Cell's pov:

ChristianW_0-1652163128652.png

to get the cube information

ChristianW_1-1652163146072.png

If you like, you can use the name command to add the cube name to a row or column header: |CVCube| but typical we don't like the end users to get confused by cube.

3) No 'Clubs Parent Adj' is using the Golfstream cube and it uses the same cube like Frankfurt, but Houston has its own cube, but it is an extended cube of Golfstream. But all cubes are related to Golfstream.

4) No Parent id just the gender neutral version of father or mother.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

ChristianW
Valued Contributor

Hi Davy

What we are calling a cube in Onestream is more a sub cube describing a financial model definition than an Essbase cube. These cubes are not independent like in Essbase, but a more or less dependent slice of a super cube.

Workflows are very close linked to workflows, in fact, they are the top node of a workflow tree and the information about the top level cube is only 1 click away:

ChristianW_0-1651744260265.pngChristianW_1-1651744279152.png

I hope this helps and cheers

Christian

Davy
Contributor

Thanks. That's the best explanation i have read in past 1.5 years of working in 1Stream!! Thanks Christian.

I think you have a typo. Can you confirm this is what you are trying to write?

Cubes are very close linked to workflows, in fact, Cubes are the top node of a workflow tree and the information about the top level cube is only 1 click away:
This information is shown in your screen shot.
So you are saying that "Clubs Parent Adj" is a parent cube to Frankurt , Houston and Eagle drivers?
is "US Clubs Parent adj" also a parent - a husband and wife pair? 1 parents!!??

ChristianW
Valued Contributor

No, but all cubes in a workflow are sharing either the same cube, or using extended children cubes (linked in Cube References). Setup once, you don't have to care about it, Onestream does it for you.

Davy
Contributor

Thanks again Christian,

Before I award you "the solution", may I ask my questions again?

1) You wrote:
"Cubes are very close linked to workflows, in fact, Cubes are the top node of a workflow tree....
 One workflow is sharing either the same cube, or using extended children cubes (linked in Cube References). "

So  are you saying that ONE workflow can update different cubes?  For example, one workflow can have many CubeViews - each of which can  updates different cubes.

2) You wrote:

"the information about the top level cube is only 1 click away:"

Well, if a workflow can have multiple cubeviews that update multiple cubes, you statement is not true.

I would like to recommend that OneStream deverlopers put name of cube for each channel under a workflow .

In other words, a Workflow can have multiple children (aka channels), each of which have their respective cube - it is a pain to click each channel to see what cubes they update.  Please give my suggestion to your developers.

3) In your screen shot, is  "Clubs Parent Adj" is a parent cube to Frankurt , Houston and Eagle drivers?

4)  "US Clubs Parent adj" also a parent - a husband and wife pair? 1 parents!!??

ChristianW
Valued Contributor

1) One workflow controls/updates one Toplevel Cube and its descendants. An embedded cubeview can be used to input data in multiple, none related cubes, but these cube's input isn't controlled by the workflow (e.g. out of the box you can't lock it within the workflow).

2) You can always look at a Cell's pov:

ChristianW_0-1652163128652.png

to get the cube information

ChristianW_1-1652163146072.png

If you like, you can use the name command to add the cube name to a row or column header: |CVCube| but typical we don't like the end users to get confused by cube.

3) No 'Clubs Parent Adj' is using the Golfstream cube and it uses the same cube like Frankfurt, but Houston has its own cube, but it is an extended cube of Golfstream. But all cubes are related to Golfstream.

4) No Parent id just the gender neutral version of father or mother.