I need to build an entity structure for a PoC that behaves like extensible dimensionality, for the legal scenario a member is base, but for management reporting it is a node.

OSAdmin
Valued Contributor
Originally posted by Christian Wetterwald

6/25/2019

I need to build an entity structure for a PoC that behaves like extensible dimensionality, for the legal scenario a member is base, but for management reporting it is a node. Simple for all dimensions except Entity. How would you solve this situation, is there even a simple solution?

The second question is related. What happens, if all children of an dimension - entity or not - are disabled for a scenario or time period, will the node become a base member?"

1 REPLY 1

OSAdmin
Valued Contributor
Originally posted by Chul Smith

Is data loaded at the legal entity AND at the mgmt base entities? Sounds like just an alternate rollup of base entities. If this isn't the case, because entity is extended differently than the other dimensions, you would need to have unlinked cubes and copy data between them or have a legal cube and a mgmt cube that rolled up into a supercube. Then you'd run the risk of doubling data depending on what's loaded at legal vs mgmt.
I'd go the unlinked cube route. If they load a completely different data set for legal than they do for mgmt and there's no overlap, you'll be fine. If there is overlap (e.g. if both load a full P&L but only legal loads BS), then you'll need to manage that.

you need a separate entity dimension for each
Houston_Legal in one
S.Houston & Houston Heights in the other

if they are completely different data sets, you can leave them in separate cubes. If you need to bring them together somehow, you'll need a third entity dimension and that top cube can link to both.