Moving an entity between cubes

OSAdmin
Valued Contributor
Originally posted by Henning Windhagen

3/5/2019

Moving an entity between cubes

Hi, a partner has an entity structure with four sub-groups. Each of these sub-groups has a different cube (i.e. four cubes).

Now, apparently, they need to move one entity from sub-group 1 (and cube 1), to sub-group 2 (i.e. cube 2).
The cubes are set up to cater for extensibility in BUD and FC in later phases, i.e. nothing has been extended yet, so the dimensionality of cube 1 and cube 2 is the same, apart from the different entities.

My approach would be, keep entity ABC in cube 1 and create a new entity called something like entity ABC-new in cube 2.

However, the partner wants to move the entity ABC from cube 1 to cube 2 completely, which I do not think is feasible, because you would change the historical data of that entire sub-group 1 as well as 2.

Now my question: Has anyone done that before? Is there another feasible way other than my approach? Even if we say we do not care about the historical data of the sub-groups, is it possible to move an entity between cubes without messing with the system?

1 REPLY 1

OSAdmin
Valued Contributor
Originally posted by Andy Moore

Entity dimensions are assigned to cubes. so when you refer to move entity ABC to another cube you mean to another entity dimension assigned to a different cube. Is not possible to move entity member within entity dimensions, you can only share (not move) entity members of different dimensions to the entity dim in the ""top cube"" where cube references is set up. So in your case, as you mentioned, you will need ABC_New and perhaps move historical data (if needed) via DM job or connector

Approach 1: leave the old entity in the location it was but suffix with _old. Set the ""in use"" property on the old and new entities for the appropriate time periods to prevent and enable data loads/inputs.

Pros: Dimension setup is easy

Cons: just like an acquisition mid year you'll have to make sure the Beginning balances, activity calc used on roll forwards and other flow members are calculating correctly for that first period of the ""_New"" entity. This will affect cash flow generation if you don't properly handle the starting points. You could make this dynamic in the flow rules or create a IF this new exception in the specific month of that flow member formula.

Approach 2: Prefix the old entity with ""Old"" so you can reuse the original name in the other entity dimension and move historical data.

Pros: one time DM extract and load of historical data, minimal impact to current rules. Can document this process for future moves. Approach is more admin friendly

Cons: anytime you move data you need to validate it.