QuickView Navigate without data

Vincent
New Contributor III

Hello!

As a EssBase previous user, do you know if it's possible to navigate without data or at least positionning row and colums dimansions without a refresh and once all is done proceed to the refresh.

Because  sometimes when it makes 4 minutes to refresh a cubeview and I have to move at least 5 axis to column or row, it takes 5 x 4 minutes

Thank you in advance. 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

db_pdx
Contributor III

A few options to consider, both of which revolve around limiting the data that is returned while you build your report:

1) Temporarily set your Entity to E#None.  This way there is no data to retrieve and it will allow you to do your positioning before querying for data

2) Alternatively, in your QuickView settings, set your 'Maximum Number of Seconds' (query seconds) to 1.  You'll immediately hit the page limit and you'll get control back to continue building your report.

That said, I've never heard of a report taking 4 minutes to refresh.  I'd advise against using QuickViews/CubeViews for doing a datadump (in case that is applicable).  Also, check that you have the appropriate suppression settings turned on.

View solution in original post

@Vincent 

Anticipating requests from Management is very hard to do, so I do understand your situation.  Just a fyi - getcells will go and retrieve on cell at a time so if you have 100 get cells, excel will contact the data 100 times.  A cube view can be faster but as you said yourself there are other factors involved.  If we were brainstorming a possible solution, one approach would be to break the data into smaller units.  Maybe even using BI or tables in dashboards.  You do not have an easy task.

Managing Partner | 1 (724) 759-8572
mmalandra@directanalyticsinc.com

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

db_pdx
Contributor III

A few options to consider, both of which revolve around limiting the data that is returned while you build your report:

1) Temporarily set your Entity to E#None.  This way there is no data to retrieve and it will allow you to do your positioning before querying for data

2) Alternatively, in your QuickView settings, set your 'Maximum Number of Seconds' (query seconds) to 1.  You'll immediately hit the page limit and you'll get control back to continue building your report.

That said, I've never heard of a report taking 4 minutes to refresh.  I'd advise against using QuickViews/CubeViews for doing a datadump (in case that is applicable).  Also, check that you have the appropriate suppression settings turned on.

Vincent
New Contributor III

Thanks, you're right both of your solutions works quite fine even if I would have preferred the same option as Essbase.

And yes I need sometime to retrieve huge amount of datas but the more often refresh are faster!

@Vincent As mentioned by @db_pdx doing a data dump in OneStream is really not a best practice and it defiantly does not work like essbase (I used this feature many times in essbase).  However, understanding why the volume of data is needed is important because excel might not be the only solution available to you.  

Thanks

Yes of course I know I can have such data thanks to a cubeview and I already have a lot of it.

But for my xfgetcell retrieve files, it concerns some reports I need to produce and share (with color codin) and each months the need is different and I can't do it thanks to a Cubeview as I need to open a ticket to change it and it takes too much time.

@Vincent 

Anticipating requests from Management is very hard to do, so I do understand your situation.  Just a fyi - getcells will go and retrieve on cell at a time so if you have 100 get cells, excel will contact the data 100 times.  A cube view can be faster but as you said yourself there are other factors involved.  If we were brainstorming a possible solution, one approach would be to break the data into smaller units.  Maybe even using BI or tables in dashboards.  You do not have an easy task.

You're right not always easy!

For bigger files I often use a quikview and then on another tab SUMIFS formula and it works fine.

From my point of view we can use :

QuickView : + powerfull    - no cell formatting

CubeView : + cell formatting    - static reports

xfgetcell : + cell formatting    - not dynamic and #refresh issues

Only a Quikview working like Essbase is missing!!!

@Vincent 

This is definitely true!

"Only a Quikview working like Essbase is missing!!!" or a compatible replacement.

The great thing about OneStream is that the users have contributed a lot to the product, so definitely let them know what your issues are!