Rename Cube

MarcusH
Contributor III

Does anyone know if it is possible to rename a cube? I am happy to execute SQL queries if that's what it takes.

Failing that are there any shortcuts for copying a cube (with all the workflows)? We have copied an application but one of the cubes (top level for workflow) must be renamed as it is out of place in the new application.

Any comments or ideas will be welcome. Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

JackLacava
Community Manager
Community Manager

Not aware of any supported procedure to do that. The potential for breakage is very significant, I'd strongly advise to take backups in advance.

I guess something like this should work:

1. Create new cube
  2. extract old cube metadata and all artefacts related to the old cube (datasources, journal templates, transformation rule profiles, confirmation rule profiles, certification rule profiles, workflow profiles, cube views, data management tasks, Dashboard data adapters and parameters, maybe more...)
  3. in the extracted xml, use a text editor to search & replace the old cube name with the new one
  4. load up any modified artefacts
  5. copy base data from old cube to the new cube with a Data Management job or with a rule. Reconsolidate as necessary.
  6. delete old cube

Alternatively, get the API Details & Database Documentation from the documentation package, find all references to cube names in db fields, and run SQLs as necessary, but Support might not be very happy about it when something goes wrong, you'd be on your own.

It might be worth engaging Support from the start, they will probably refer you to the Remote Consulting folks - who might be able to help (possibly for a fee).

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

JackLacava
Community Manager
Community Manager

Not aware of any supported procedure to do that. The potential for breakage is very significant, I'd strongly advise to take backups in advance.

I guess something like this should work:

1. Create new cube
  2. extract old cube metadata and all artefacts related to the old cube (datasources, journal templates, transformation rule profiles, confirmation rule profiles, certification rule profiles, workflow profiles, cube views, data management tasks, Dashboard data adapters and parameters, maybe more...)
  3. in the extracted xml, use a text editor to search & replace the old cube name with the new one
  4. load up any modified artefacts
  5. copy base data from old cube to the new cube with a Data Management job or with a rule. Reconsolidate as necessary.
  6. delete old cube

Alternatively, get the API Details & Database Documentation from the documentation package, find all references to cube names in db fields, and run SQLs as necessary, but Support might not be very happy about it when something goes wrong, you'd be on your own.

It might be worth engaging Support from the start, they will probably refer you to the Remote Consulting folks - who might be able to help (possibly for a fee).