Tagging a project with a Project Manager - Meta Data or Data

SWilyums
New Contributor III

I may have a requirement to filter a member list based on the project manager.

Whenever data is loaded the PM assignment may change.

I am thinking of potential ways to capture the current PM assignment, but don’t know if they are possible.

1. Leverage a text field to input the project manager name.  Then use a variable like UserName or  UserText to create a member list.
    1. Is it possible to create a member list/parameter using |UserName| or UserText variables
      1.      U2#TotalProject.Base.Where(Text1 Contains |UserName|)
    2. Given the Text1 value on the project can change every time data is loaded, is there a way through a data load to update a text field?
  2. Load the PM into a data cell using the View member “Assumption” and None for most other dimensions.  Then trying to create a member list with logic..something like where Username=Assumption value of current period.
    1. This removes the need to update Text1.  If it could work, I think the evaluation time to filter the list would be slow.
    2. Not sure this is even possible.
  3. Rebuild an alternate PM hierarchy whenever data is loaded.  Use a rule to remove relationship of alternate hierarchy.  Pass through data file, add missing PMs and missing projects.  Pass through file a couple more times to build PM hierarchy (add PM then add project under PM node)
    1. Is this possible?
    2. I have used a rule to remove relationships in a hierarchy, but it was extremely slow, so I don’t think this is a realistic alternative.
  4. Any alternative suggestions?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

SWilyums
New Contributor III

We are updating the Text4 fields through transformationeventhandler rule.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

SWilyums
New Contributor III

I was able to validate that U2#TotalProject.Base.Where(Text4 Contains |UserName|) works. 

Now the big question; can a member text field update be automated in a simple process?

SWilyums
New Contributor III

We are updating the Text4 fields through transformationeventhandler rule.

TonyToniTone
Contributor II

Between this question and https://community.onestreamsoftware.com/t5/Partner-Forum/Automated-member-text-field-update/td-p/938... it feels like this is all better suited through a BiBlend process.  Have you explored an option doing this through a BiBlend process vs. trying to maintain all this in a Cube and through Metadata?  

TonyToniTone
Contributor II

Since this thread is set as an accepted solution, I would like to add a note for future OneCommunity viewers.  If a requirement requires any metadata members or metadata properties to change every time data is loaded, I would suggest investigating solutions such as Thing Planning or BI Blend processes to handle the ever changing metadata or metadata properties vs. maintaining this through a Cube structure, which is intended to be more static than fluid.  The TransformationEventHandler is using BRApi's to cross from Stage Engine to Finance Engine.  There is considerations on performance in a production environment, auditability, maintenance, and troubleshooting.  Some things to think about when weighing design options.