Using Cell detail in cube view ,forms and reports

AJ
New Contributor III

Hello

Few of questions on using cell details

1. How can we add different classifications for data entry via cell details ?  I have created dashboard parameter for same , however its not reflecting in respective cube view or form. 

2. Is there any existing report for displaying cell details ? 

3. Correct syntax for function - BRApi.Dashboards.Parameters.GetLiteralParameterValue , unfortunately sample code is not working 

Thanks

JA

12 REPLIES 12

MarkMatson
New Contributor III

Hi, here is how to get the parameter:

Dim ActMonth As String = BRApi.Dashboards.Parameters.GetLiteralParameterValue(si, False, "ActMonth")

Cheers

AJ
New Contributor III

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your update , just wanted to confirm in your example ActMonth is parameter name ?

Thanks

AJ

ChristianW
Valued Contributor

Hi all

GetLiteralParameterValue only gives you literal parameters, you won't get the dynamic parameters from drop down boxes. If you need the dynamic information you can use in Dashboard Extender business rules the args object: args.SelectionChangedTaskInfo.CustomSubstVars

When you talk about cell details, are you looking for annotations on a particular cell?

What are you doing with the parameter? Depending on what you are doing with the parameter you can either pass the parameter to a function. Without knowing what you are planning to do with the parameter, won't be able to help.

AJ
New Contributor III

Hi Celvin,

Thanks for your update.

I am trying to create to cube view and DE form where in user will enter the data using right click on editable cell and using cell details option , user will enter the data. In this case requirement is to get different classification also to be chosen from list. ( If I create a another dashboard parameter with the name CellDetailClassifications , I am able to get the classification list available )

Using quickview reporting of cell details is possible , however just wanted to check if there is any existing report which can be used to get entered cell detail information.

Yes , one of the column in the form uses annotations and based on "Text" based selection , another column in the form/CV will drive the calculation.

Regards

AJ

I hear you, it is stored in a table called DataCellDetail, join those with the member tables and that should give you the intersections. Now the details are stored in XmlData, you'll need an XMLDocument and read the nodes you want.

<LineItemList>
<LastEditedUserName>Admin</LastEditedUserName>
<LastEditedDateTime>2021-11-16T16:55:39.152342Z</LastEditedDateTime>
<LineItems>
<LineItem>
<LineItemType>Default</LineItemType>
<Amount>100</Amount>
<AggregationWeight>1</AggregationWeight>
<Classification />
<Description>test</Description>
</LineItem>
<LineItem>
<LineItemType>Default</LineItemType>
<Amount>20</Amount>
<AggregationWeight>1</AggregationWeight>
<Classification />
<Description />
</LineItem>
</LineItems>
</LineItemList>

kberry
New Contributor III

There is also a method query to retrieve cell detail. Create a data adapter and you can build your own report using Studio, BI Viewer or a TableView:

Parameters for method type 'DataCellDetail' should include {Cube Name}{Entity Filter}{Scenario Name}{Time filter}{Account Filter}{Flow Filter}{IC Filter}{UD1 Filter}{UD2 Filter}{UD3 Filter}{UD4 Filter}{UD5 Filter}{UD6 Filter}{UD7 Filter}{UD8 Filter}{Filter}, each enclosed within curly braces.

Example: {Cube}{E#US.Base}{Scenario}{T#2015M1}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{Empty String or Filter Expression}.

Thanks Keith, You do need to mention at least these members (Cube, Entity, Scenario, and Time) to get it. But yes it does give the line item number and the form total, so yessss that is the one.

ChristianW
Valued Contributor

You also can get the line items using a BRAPI function:

Dim objDataCellInfoUsingMemberScript As DataCellInfoUsingMemberScript = BRApi.Finance.Data.GetDataCellUsingMemberScript(si, cubeName, memberScript)
objDataCellInfoUsingMemberScript.DataCellEx.DataCellDetail.LineItems.LineItems

ChristianW_0-1637145921820.png

There you go, you got three options. Now all you got to do is weigh in which one and how you want to use it. If you are going with a dashboard, all 3 are viable options. However, I would go with the business rule approach - this one gives you more control. You can decide which columns you want to show and return only those in the DataAdapter. 

Second and most preferred way will be to use the method query to pull it in an adapter and use it. However, you will now pull all the details (wanted and unwanted) and then suppress them on the dashboard end. This does have a performance impact (I've tested this by bringing more columns than I need and suppressing them on a grid view). That is the best option if you are ok with the performance impact (it probably won't be that big of a deal depending on your requirement). If not, go with the rule.

Now, even though I did talk about the table, I would love to erase that option. Can it be done? Absolutely, should it be done that way? No way!!! 🤣🤣

AJ
New Contributor III

Thank you All 🙂

I will try with method query and business rule approach ...and test it.

AJ
New Contributor III

@ChristianW & @ckattookaran 

Just checking if we can copy cell details (Amount, aggregation Weight, Classification and description from period 1 to Period 2 via business rule?

Thanks

AJ