"Enter" parameter

Kamila
New Contributor III

Hi Team,

I'm wondering if there's a parameter that can be used in OS for a new line?

I mean there's already a |SPACE|, which works perfectly, but I would need such parameter for new line (like \n in VB.NET), any ideas?

Thank you!

6 REPLIES 6

ChrisLoran
Valued Contributor

Are you wanting to produce a multi-line text string?
Have you tried System.Environment.NewLine ? ( this would be the line separator as defined on the computer type , as opposed to a fixed constant)
( The legacy VB constant vbCrLf will also put a newline into a string, but that was more hard-fixed to a Windows mindset of CRLF, so should not be a problem on Windows , but then... )

Kamila
New Contributor III

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your reply. Actually I wanted to use it in Cube View to create a 2 lines with text in one cell.

Unfortunately I can use only parameters there, as System.Environment.NewLine seems not to be working.

Thank you!

ChrisLoran
Valued Contributor

The System.Environment.NewLine is for business rules of course, but you didn't say that this was something that you needed for CubeViews.
Where are you attempting to put multi-line text? Is it in a column header, row header, or in the data cells as part of a V#Annotation (cell detail) view?   The Data Explorer view will not show multi-line text reliably on row/column headers (may have cropping issues) : you can use an XFBR expression to run an XFBR rule to return a multi-line string; just no guarantee how it will look in the Data Explorer view.  This is how mine looks:
Row definition:  A#16000:Name(XFBR(CubeViewLists,GetMultiLineText))

ChrisLoran_0-1671547518481.png

Cell detail text (such as V#Anotation view) Also won't display multi-line text in the Data Explorer view.
Even if you have a DynamicCalc that returns a successful multi-line string, the CubeView will show the text on one line.

ChrisLoran_1-1671547811998.pngChrisLoran_2-1671547836909.png

For Report View output, the same limitation applies I believe ( it still displays multi-line text on a single line )

ChrisLoran_3-1671547916907.png

Kamila
New Contributor III

I'm trying to put multi-line in column header. I really like your solution with XFBR rule, can I see how you built it - (XFBR(CubeViewLists,GetMultiLineText)) ?

ChrisLoran
Valued Contributor

This is the source code used in my XFBR rule example:

If args.FunctionName.XFEqualsIgnoreCase("GetMultiLineText") Then
  '-- XFBR(CubeViewLists,GetMultiLineText)
  Dim str As String = "Line1" & System.Environment.NewLine & "Line2"
  Return str
End If

Kamila
New Contributor III

Thank you for your time Chris, much appreciated!