Can PowerBI be connected to OneStream to pull CV Excel reports that are saved in File Explorer?

JACardona
New Contributor

We are currently producing and saving excel extracts of CV's into File Explorer using books/parcel service. We would like to connect PowerBI to OneStream to pick up these files from the OS managed server. Is this possible?

5 REPLIES 5

LeeB
Contributor II

You can expose datasets to an external application like Power BI using OneStream REST API.

The online Platform Documentation contains a guide on the REST API.

johnnyRockets
New Contributor II

Yes, it is definitely possible to connect PowerBI to OneStream using OneStream's REST API. It takes some authentication setup and a OneStream business rule to produce the data sets needed. Assuming the REST API is enabled, you can then call out of PowerBI for an endpoint that returns a OneStream data set.

Please see below:

https://www.schgroup.com/resource/blog-post/how-to-connect-onestream-and-power-bi-in-4-steps/

SethB
New Contributor II

Can anyone share their actual experience connecting via the REST API? Our OS admin has never gotten response from OneStream about when a PowerBI connector will be available meaning I might be forced to go this route. I'm just wondering if anyone has had any direct experience implementing it and if they ran into any problems with the API documentation they wished they'd have known before starting. A connection is a must-have for me so I'm hoping someone can set my expectations about what it involves. 
Is this a "write a blank check to a 3rd party consultant and pray" type project or does it work fairly well as documented?

wooddar
New Contributor

I have the same issue.  I don't believe it's really being used; it's just a wish and a hope.   Its been talked about for too long

wJack
New Contributor II

I also need that, would be great to have some more details on how to get the details.