Group Columns/Excel Outline in Columns on Cube Views

JamesKirkby
New Contributor III

Hello:

Has anyone had any success with grouping columns in a cube view in a report linked to excel, or grouping them as they export? Of course in the data explorer version you can use the tree function and toggle the row expansion mode to get the intended effect, and in rows you have the excel outline settings you can play with. However, there doesn't seem to be a way to manage this using settings. And obviously if you format the cube view when linked them refreshed the column grouping goes away.

Interested to hear and thanks!

15 REPLIES 15

aneupane
New Contributor III

Hi James, 

I did something similar lately.

Like you mentioned, I am not able to group Column as well.

But I am able to group Rows Dynamically by leveraging 3 components

1. Row member: member.Tree [I believe member.TreeDescendants also work]

2. Use RowE1IndentLevel +   ExcelOutlineLevel in formatting

I have used following to make it dynamic

if (RowE1IndentLevel = 0) Then
ExcelOutlineLevel = 1
Else if (RowE1IndentLevel = 1) Then
ExcelOutlineLevel = 2
Else if (RowE1IndentLevel = 2) Then
ExcelOutlineLevel = 3
Else if (RowE1IndentLevel = 3) Then
ExcelOutlineLevel = 4
Else if (RowE1IndentLevel = 4) Then
ExcelOutlineLevel = 5
Else
ExcelOutlineLevel = 6
End If

3. In Default Cube Formatting

ExcelExpandedOutlineLevelOnRows = 6

ExcelMaxOutlineLevelOnRows = 6 (6 is max)

As result, this is what you get in excel. best part if this is dynamic.

Hope this helps.

aneupane_0-1638385265797.png

JamesKirkby
New Contributor III

That's pretty cool. So if your tree structures go down to six levels, you can dynamically group your tree structures leveraging the hierarchy within the dimension itself. Is that the intended effect?

aneupane
New Contributor III

That's correct.....the indent level is picked from hierarchy indentation (provided by OS when .Tree is used). And we are using the indent value to generate the excel ExcelOutlineLevel.

Hi James,
I'm trying your code but does't work for member expansion. I'm using A#acoount.tree.
Do you know a way to play with the ident level inside a tree?

Hi Carolina: 

The code that aneupane references is not a member expansion, but rather, conditional formatting applied to a row with a .tree expansion, in addition to the default cube view formatting mentioned above. if you follow the steps, when you export the report to excel the outline levels will appear as mentioned. Let me know if that makes sense.

ASides
New Contributor II

This looks like a great solution. Do you know if this functionality works when exporting to Excel (rather than using a Cube View connection)?

JamesKirkby
New Contributor III

I think this only works when exporting. When you use a linked cube view connection I don't think it works.

ryannelissa
New Contributor III

Does anyone know how to get this to open all the way expanded as the default in excel but still hold the groupings? When I do ExcelExpandedOutlineLevelOnRows = 1 or ExcelExpandedOutlineLevelOnRows = 6 I get the same results of the top account only. 

Thanks!

WiskiOne
New Contributor II

Thank you! It works for me in most cases, but I have an extra difficulty:

My Tree (used in Entity dimension) is:

Level 1: Group A

Level 2: Entity 1, Entity2, Entity3 ....

I would like to have different "cross dim" inside the .Tree function. I mean:

Level 1: Group A ---> C#Local:O#BeforeElim

Level 2: Entity 1, Entity2, Entity3 .... ---> C#Share:O#Top

Hopefully, I get the desired result with a POV = C#EUR:O#BeforeElim. However, I would like to know if it is possible to manage different "cross dim" inside a .Tree formula.

aneupane
New Contributor III

ExcelExpandedOutlineLevelOnRows = 6 controls what level to show when cubeview is open.

If ExcelExpandedOutlineLevelOnRows = 1; cubeview opens with Level 1 shown and others compressed like shown below.

aneupane_0-1638386202534.png

CAIGuySeanF
New Contributor III

This is great.  Question - there is no way to pull the tree reversed?  I know I can do tree decedents reversed to get the desired excel grouping (totals beneath), but that doesn't allow for me to collapse the tree in the client/app.  Any suggestions? 

Ashok
New Contributor III

we are using but see this wierd issue with .Tree rows. Last row does not ge grouped properly. has anyone seen it? is there any workaround? 

Ashok
New Contributor III

Ashok_1-1673982193515.png

example where it does not group last row properly. 

WiskiOne
New Contributor II

Hi Ashok,

I have experienced the same problem. My last row is a Total row, and this problem desappears for previous grouped rows. If it is not your case, I would try to add a blank row at the end (format: font an background color white).

Let me know if that makes sense.

MarkBird
Contributor II

Hi @JamesKirkby 

Appreciate this is an old post, but I've been struggling to get the outline's between excel and cube views to work properly and came across this.

May have not been possible back then, but you can group columns in a similar way to grouping rows.

Either manually apply the outline level to the Header Format of each column: E.g. 'ExcelOutlineLevelCol = 2'

Or apply some logic like the ones mentioned below: "If (ColE1IndentLevel = 1) Then ExcelOutlineLevelCol = 2...."

Another option that you could follow is to apply a naming convention to your columns and then apply something like this:

If (ColName StartsWith 'C1_') Then
    ExcelOutlineLevelCol = 1,
If (ColName StartsWith 'C2_') Then
    ExcelOutlineLevelCol = 2,
End if

Then you just need to set the following on the Default Header Format of your cube view:

ExcelExpandedOutlineLevelOnCols = 1,
ExcelMaxOutlineLevelOnCols = 6,