cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OS Excel Function that pulls data from a Cube View Connection

WillVitale
Contributor

Hello,

I was wondering if there's a way to use one of the OneStream Excel functions (i.e. =xfgetmemberinfo) to grab data from a Cube View Connection? I know I could pull this data from the headers, but my work doesn't like using them really and was wondering if there was another way.

Thanks,

Will

4 REPLIES 4

Henning
Valued Contributor

Hi Will,

As you are probably already aware, the available functions can be found here in Excel:

Henning_0-1719289386918.png

Also for the wider audience, the documentation is here:

Retrieve Functions (onestream.com)

What are you trying to achieve exactly? Do you mean you have a cube view in your Excel open and then your users wish to pull data from that open connection? Do you mean real "data", or do you mean something else as your mentioning of xfgetmemberinfo suggests (as this is used to pull the description from a metadata member)?

Hi Henning,

Yes, I know XFGetMemberInfo, but whenever I refresh the Cube View Connection or change to a different entity the formula becomes a #REF error, also is there a way where I can pull a value set up in the POV that's physically on the excel tab? In this example, I have time and Currency (consolidation) as a parameter. Is it possible to pull those with an excel formula?

Thanks,

Will 

Henning
Valued Contributor

Hi, no, as far as I know you cannot retrieve parameters with any of the functions. 

If you want to pull time and consolidation, I suggest to create a cube view with C# in the column and T# in the row - add this CV to a (possibly hidden) sheet - and then use the column and row headers as a reference in Excel. You can do the same with other parameters, e.g. by pulling the parameter into a dynamic member in a UD, display as annotation and refer to those cells in Excel.

tuhler
New Contributor III

I agree with you that using a cell reference might not be ideal as it limits your ability to change your cube view around without a lot of maintenance.

You could setup a UD8 member that returns the info that you are looking for. For example - I used a UD8 member that returns the account description by just having a dynamic calc:

Return (api.Pov.Account.Description)