Primary and secondary axis align 0 point

FlorisvdPoel
New Contributor III

Hi everybody,

Below you can see a graph created for a client.

FlorisvdPoel_2-1688567223639.png

A question coming from them is that they want to align the 0 points (highlighted) of both the primary (left) axis and the secondary (right) axis. I've tried (amongst others) to change the visual and whole range, scaling options but it doesn't seem to change anything. 

Does anybody know if it is possible to align the 0 points? 

Thanks!

Floris

Floris van der Poel
cpmview
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

FlorisvdPoel
New Contributor III

Hi Ben, and others who are reading this,

Found a solution based on inspiration I got from Ben's solution.

What I did in the underlying cube view that feeds the data adapter feeding the graph is adding identical rows to the current cube view. The only difference with these rows is that they multiply the data from the original rows by -1. What you get is a reversed version of the original data. 

Within the report, I added these as series and set their color to transparent. 

This solution forces the 0 on both axes into the exact center, since the extremes are equal but inverted. Below the result: 

FlorisvdPoel_0-1688733907580.png

This solution is also dynamic!

@BenThompson thanks for your help and inspiration.

Floris

Floris van der Poel
cpmview

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

BenThompson
New Contributor III

Hello Floris,

Have you tried aligning the max and min values for both axis? Here is a good explanation on YouTube of how to do that https://youtu.be/pY9XgFL3DNY .  I hope it helps.

Ben

Hi Ben,

I appreciate your answer. However, my chart contains both periodic and ytd values. When taking the max value of this dataset (i.e. YTD M12 in most cases) it will indeed align my 0 points (for that matter all values on the axes). However, my periodic data (bar charts) will become too small. Applying this would actually take away the use of the secondary axis. Please see the screenshot below for explanation.

FlorisvdPoel_0-1688718934448.png

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Floris van der Poel
cpmview

FlorisvdPoel
New Contributor III

Hi Ben, and others who are reading this,

Found a solution based on inspiration I got from Ben's solution.

What I did in the underlying cube view that feeds the data adapter feeding the graph is adding identical rows to the current cube view. The only difference with these rows is that they multiply the data from the original rows by -1. What you get is a reversed version of the original data. 

Within the report, I added these as series and set their color to transparent. 

This solution forces the 0 on both axes into the exact center, since the extremes are equal but inverted. Below the result: 

FlorisvdPoel_0-1688733907580.png

This solution is also dynamic!

@BenThompson thanks for your help and inspiration.

Floris

Floris van der Poel
cpmview

BenThompson
New Contributor III

Glad you found a solution @FlorisvdPoel  😀

Please sign in! FlorisvdPoel