Reporting - Books - File (xfDoc)

CAIGuySeanF
New Contributor III

Hello, 

I would like to create a report book that includes several cube views and an xfdoc (ppt cover page).

I added the xfdoc as an application database file and pointed it to the working URL.  However, when I run the report book I get a blank page.  I can't figure out how to get it to render the File (xfDoc).  It does render all the cube views as expected.  And I confirmed that my standalone xfdoc is working as well.

Thanks,

Sean

Report Book - Add File (XfDoc)Report Book - Add File (XfDoc)Report Book Preview - BlankReport Book Preview - BlankStand Alone Xfdoc - generating fineStand Alone Xfdoc - generating fine

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Sean,

I did some further testing this morning and found you can use '.docx' files and they will work for PDF books. With this being the case, I'd actually recommend using the "Text Editor" page in OneStream. You can utilize dynamic parameters that will present the current date (e.g. '|WFTime|' will return '2022M5'). Below I created a quick example of this. You can see the dynamic parameters pulling in my Workflow time. I just saved this file to the File Explorer with the same '.xfdoc.docx' naming convention and added it to my book as the first file.

Kelly_Reed_0-1654607703360.png

Kelly_Reed_1-1654607724542.png

Let me know if you have any trouble with this or have any further questions!

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Kelly_Reed
New Contributor II

Hi Sean,

I think the issue is the book is a PDF book. Therefore, it's only going to return PDF docs. If you want a "mixed media" book, (PPT + PDFs), you would need to save it as a "Zip" book (Book.xfdoc.zipbook).

For your purposes here, I would save the ppt as a PDF (CFO Cover.xfdoc.pdf), then use that instead of the 'CFO Cover.xfdoc.pptx'. That should work for you.

Hope this helps!

Thanks Kelly.  That appears to be the missing piece.  However, I have some xfgets (dates) in my cover page, so I think I need to leave that as a PPT for the extensible formula/function to work. 

I tried the zipbook option, but it doesn't seem to retain ordering or put them together as one doc? 

Is my best bet for one "PDF Doc" to build a cover page using a cube view with no data?

Hi Sean,

I did some further testing this morning and found you can use '.docx' files and they will work for PDF books. With this being the case, I'd actually recommend using the "Text Editor" page in OneStream. You can utilize dynamic parameters that will present the current date (e.g. '|WFTime|' will return '2022M5'). Below I created a quick example of this. You can see the dynamic parameters pulling in my Workflow time. I just saved this file to the File Explorer with the same '.xfdoc.docx' naming convention and added it to my book as the first file.

Kelly_Reed_0-1654607703360.png

Kelly_Reed_1-1654607724542.png

Let me know if you have any trouble with this or have any further questions!

This is great!  After creating a file in the Text Editor and using that '.xfdoc.docx' naming convention, I get the following error message.. am I doing something wrong?

help1.png

Oh interesting. At what exact point in the process did you get that error? Right after you hit 'OK' on this screen?

Kelly_Reed_0-1654623400905.png

I'm able to save the "xfdoc.docx" extension from the text editor, but anytime I try and open that file again via text editor, file explorer, or report book preview it produces the error message.

I was able to create a word document on my machine locally and upload it as an xfdoc, it's working great.  Also, if I edit that working xfdoc initially built in word and save it from the text editor, it goes right back to that same error message.  It seems to be related to the xfdoc / text editor combination? 

Very odd. I'm able to save it and run it without any errors, so I'm not sure off the top of my head what would be causing that error for you. I'll continue to do more testing to see if I can replicate the error and let you know if I find anything!

Is the book working as it should now though? Utilizing the doc you created via Word?

Yes, it works with an import from Word - produces it as one cohesive book which is awesome.  I'll let you know if I end up isolating that text editor down to anything more specific.  I really appreciate your help.

I am trying to add a cover to a book.  This post is fantastic, but I am not able to find where I can add a file in my cubeviews.  I am wondering if we might be on an early version of OneStream or if I am just doing something incorrect.  Can you tell me what version you are running.  Thank you.

Hey.  We are currently running 7.2.4.  Once the file (xfdoc.docx) was imported through the File Explorer, I'm adding the file within Books.  Screenshot below.  Hope this helps!

CAIGuySeanF_0-1697640552932.png

Oscar
Contributor

this is great! I am trying to generate a the same book for different Responsibility Centers to be sent to  Responsibility Center owners. I will reference your notes in this article