Show only negative values in the cube view

Ioana
New Contributor III

Hello,

A client recently asked if it’s possible to create an 'exception cube view' based on an existing main one. The main cube view includes both positive and negative amounts across rows and columns. The client specifically wants the exception report to display only the negative values.

To address this, I created a UD8 dynamic calc member that returns the U8#None value if it's negative and returns nothing if U8#None is positive. I then applied this new UD8 member to a copy of the main cube view, ensuring suppression is enabled. While this works well for smaller reports, the performance suffers with larger reports due to the nature of dynamic calculations.

I also applied the classic formatting where positive amounts are transparent but it leaves the report with a lot of rows and columns that have the text transparent.

Any other ideas on how this can be achieved?

4 REPLIES 4

JackLacava
Honored Contributor

What about breaking down the bigger reports into Dashboards where the user selects only one Entity, or something like that?

Otherwise, the traditional workaround for this sort of situations is changing your UD8 to be a stored value.

FredLucas
Contributor III

Another option you could explore would be to display the exceptions in a grid view type report based on a custom data adapter.

The custom data adapter could be based on the existing cube view (using one fdxCubeView method for example) and you could then loop through the table to exclude positives values / rows and columns.

JackLacava
Honored Contributor

This is a good idea and could be the best approach from a performance point of view. Instead of doing a lot of separate dynamic calculations in UD8, a single optimized routine in a Dashboard DataSet rule would likely be pretty efficient - you might even be able to express it as a simple Filter on the FDX call ("Amount < 0"), which would be quite fast.

The output can then be presented as a static report or a Dashboard, as necessary.

Henning
Valued Contributor II

Hi,

The customer could also use a Confirmation step in the workflow to check for negative values.