Threshold Operation in FDX using SQL Query

Akalya_N
New Contributor

Hi Community...!
    I want to perform Threshold operation in FDX report using SQL Query.. Anyone who knows please share the format for reference... Thank You...!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Sai_Maganti
Contributor II

If you meant that you're running an FDX query and want to see values > 30000 in the returned datatable then you can use the Filter parameter

filter = "Amount > 30000"

BRApi.Import.Data.FdxExecuteDataUnit(si, cubeName, entityMemFilter, consName, scenarioTypeId, scenarioMemFilter, timeMemFilter, viewName, suppressNoData, filter, parallelQueryCount, logStatistics);

View solution in original post

Hi @SWilyums,

You are 100% correct. There is an existing bug - "22557 - FDX Query Filter; When no records match the filter argument, then all data records are returned."
Look for future release notes to find out when it's been resolved or reach out to support for updates.

As a workaround, you may want to try the data table select functionality as mentioned by  @Sai_Maganti or the filtering capabilities offered by the vb.net DataView objects. If it's a big data set and performance is important you may want to try both methods to understand which one would be best in your use case (code sample below):

'Option A:
dim dtFilteredRows as DataRow() = dt.Select("Account='A30000' And (UD1 ='D1059' OR UD1 = 'D1061' OR UD1 = 'D1062')")

'Option B:
Dim sRowFilter As String = "Account='A30000' And (UD1 ='D1059' OR UD1 = 'D1061' OR UD1 = 'D1062')"
Dim sSort As String = String.Empty

Dim dview As New DataView(dt,sRowFilter,sSort,DataViewRowState.CurrentRows)
dt = dview.ToTable()

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

Sergey
Contributor III

Hello @Akalya_N ,

Can you please specify what do you mean by Threshold operation, and if it's for reporting only ?

Regards,

Sure... If the Threshold value is 30000 means..the values below 30000 in the data table should be suppressed and the values above 30000 should only display...

Sai_Maganti
Contributor II

If you meant that you're running an FDX query and want to see values > 30000 in the returned datatable then you can use the Filter parameter

filter = "Amount > 30000"

BRApi.Import.Data.FdxExecuteDataUnit(si, cubeName, entityMemFilter, consName, scenarioTypeId, scenarioMemFilter, timeMemFilter, viewName, suppressNoData, filter, parallelQueryCount, logStatistics);

Hi...! I've did this Threshold Operation like this...You can find it here

Akalya_N_0-1703058066814.png

But...Here i've given random value (30000),If the user wants to give any number means...You can use parameters for this..Thank You...!

Hello Sai_Maganti, 

A filter question for you.

I have a filter that looks like this:
Filter = "Account='A30000' And (UD1='D1059' OR UD1='D1061' OR UD1='D1062')"
The filter is not enforced, and I get extra data. 

If just filter on a single dimenion the filter works
Filter = "Account='A30000'" -  This works
Filter = "UD1='D1059' OR UD1='D1061' OR UD1='D1062'" - This Works

When combined no luck.  Any suggestions?

Hi @SWilyums,

I put together a very quick example to test a similar filter to see if I was able to figure out what could be going on but it seems to be working ok in my case.

Here's the code I've tried:

Dim dt As Datatable = BRApi.Import.Data.FdxExecuteDataUnit(si, "PeoplePln", "E#UK", "Local", scenarioTypeId.Budget, "S#BudgetDefault", "T#2021M5", "YTD", True, "UD1 = 'None' And (Account = 'Bonus' OR Account = 'Staff Costs' OR Account = 'None')", 1, False)

Stupid question I know 🙂 but have you double checked that there's data for that exact combination you are filtering? 

I've ran my test on v8.2.0 and I don't see anything wrong with your filter so the only options that come to my mind are version related or that the combination of filters does actually result in no data.

You can use the following function to print the content of your data table, maybe that can help you with the debug:

Public Function PrintDataTable(ByVal si As SessionInfo, ByVal dt As DataTable, ByVal Optional strSeparator As String = "|", ByVal Optional limit As Integer = 0, ByVal Optional boolPrintTableName As Boolean = True, ByVal Optional list As List(Of String) = Nothing, ByVal Optional strTextSep As String = Nothing) As String
	        Dim strLog As New text.StringBuilder
			Dim strBRName As String = System.Reflection.MethodInfo.GetCurrentMethod().Name
			Dim listColToSkip As New List(Of String) ({"None"})
		    If Not IsNothing(list) Then
		        listColToSkip = list
		    End If
			strLog.AppendLine(String.Format("{0} - Sep: {1}, Limit: {2}, Print Table Name: {3}, Col(s) To Skip: {4}", strBRName, strSeparator, limit.ToString, boolPrintTableName.ToString, String.Join(", ", listColToSkip)))

If strSeparator.XFEqualsIgnoreCase("tab") Then
				strSeparator = vbTab
			End If

Try
	            Dim result As New Text.StringBuilder

If boolPrintTableName Then 
					result.AppendLine("Table name: " & dt.TableName)
				End If

Dim header As String = Nothing
	            For Each dc As DataColumn In dt.Columns
					strLog.AppendLine(String.Format("{0} - Col Name: {1}, To Skip: {2}", strBRName, dc.ColumnName, listColToSkip.Contains(dc.ColumnName)))
					If Not listColToSkip.Contains(dc.ColumnName) Then 
	                	header = header & dc.ColumnName & strSeparator
					End If
	            Next
				If Not String.IsNullOrEmpty(header) Then
	            	result.AppendLine(header)
				End If

If limit = 0 Then limit = dt.Rows.Count -1
				If limit > dt.Rows.Count -1 Then limit = dt.Rows.Count -1
	            For curRow As Integer = 0 To limit
	                Dim row As String = String.Empty
	                For curCol As Integer = 0 To dt.Columns.Count -1
						If Not listColToSkip.Contains(dt.Columns(curCol).ColumnName) Then
	                    	If strTextSep Is Nothing Then 
	                    		row = row & dt.Rows(curRow)(curCol).ToString.Trim & strSeparator
							Else
								row = row & strTextSep & dt.Rows(curRow)(curCol).ToString.Trim & strTextSep & strSeparator
							End If
						End If
	                Next
					If Not String.IsNullOrEmpty(row) Then
	                	result.AppendLine(row)
					End If
	            Next

Return result.ToString

Catch ex As Exception
				BRApi.ErrorLog.LogMessage(si, strLog.ToString)
	            Throw ErrorHandler.LogWrite(si, New XFException(si, ex))
	        End Try

End Function

Hello Fred,

You hit on the key point.  There is not data that meets the criteria of my sample filter.  Upon further validation, when the filter gets a hit then it is applied.  However, when the filter does not get a hit then all data is returned.  I would think it would return a message saying no records or no data.  It becomes useless to me if that is not a configurable option.  Suggestions?

Just to follow up I added this to loop through the table and if there is an invalid account then send an error message.  Issue is the evaluation really slows it down.

'Loop through DT and see if Emp_HC is present. If so error
Dim valueToFind As String = "Emp_HC"
'Loop through each row in the Datatable
For Each row As DataRow In dt_ICU.Rows
If Row("Account").ToString = valueToFind Then
Throw New XFUserMsgException(si, Nothing, Nothing, Me.m_MsgNoData)
Else
Dim timename As String = PlanTime
Dim filePath As String = Me.GetFilePath(si, api, args, timeName)
Dim csvHelper As New CsvHelper
Using writer As New StreamWriter(filePath, True)
writer.Write(csvHelper.CreateCsvString(dt_ICU))
End Using
End If
Next

I moved the Next and it is now working quick.

Assuming that there is data for that Account and UD1 combination, I don't see any reason why it shouldn't work. I had done similar filters and they are working fine in all versions upto 8.2.

Not that it would (in theory both are same) make any difference but try this. I had done most of my filters using IN operator:

Filter = "Account='A30000' And UD1 IN ('D1059', 'D1061', 'D1062')"

Best

Sai

Hello Sai,

There is no data that meets the criteria of my sample filter.  Upon further validation, when the filter gets a hit then it is applied.  However, when the filter does not get a hit then all data is returned.  I would think it would return a message saying no records or no data.  It becomes useless to me if that is not a configurable option.  Suggestions?

Hi @SWilyums,

You are 100% correct. There is an existing bug - "22557 - FDX Query Filter; When no records match the filter argument, then all data records are returned."
Look for future release notes to find out when it's been resolved or reach out to support for updates.

As a workaround, you may want to try the data table select functionality as mentioned by  @Sai_Maganti or the filtering capabilities offered by the vb.net DataView objects. If it's a big data set and performance is important you may want to try both methods to understand which one would be best in your use case (code sample below):

'Option A:
dim dtFilteredRows as DataRow() = dt.Select("Account='A30000' And (UD1 ='D1059' OR UD1 = 'D1061' OR UD1 = 'D1062')")

'Option B:
Dim sRowFilter As String = "Account='A30000' And (UD1 ='D1059' OR UD1 = 'D1061' OR UD1 = 'D1062')"
Dim sSort As String = String.Empty

Dim dview As New DataView(dt,sRowFilter,sSort,DataViewRowState.CurrentRows)
dt = dview.ToTable()

Sai_Maganti
Contributor II

Hmm not sure why it is not honouring the filter..However, you can ignore the filter here and fetch all the data and then do a select on the datatable returned. See above post by OP. The filtering was done outside the fdx using a select.

dim dtFilteredRows() as DataRow = dtFdx.Select("Account='A30000' And UD1 IN ('D1059', 'D1061', 'D1062')")

Best

Sai