Trend lines in graphs report component

FlorisvdPoel
New Contributor III

Hi all,

Referring to an old post: "Advanced" graphical content in dashboards.

In a graph (created using the report component) I would like to add a trend line. Please see the picture below for clarification. This graph links to FX data (USD/EUR) retrieved in a cube view. 

FlorisvdPoel_0-1683122303264.png

Is there anyone that knows if there is any possibility to add a trend line in here? Maybe someone that has experience with trend lines? The things I thought of:

- Adding a trend calculation in the cube view that will be added as a separate series in the chart.
     Problem: need to find calculation for trend lines which is very complex.

- Data aggregation options in the chart component. (Under Series --> Properties --> View)
     Problem: this doesn't seem to do anything. Not sure how to work with the 'custom' setting. 

- Calculated field in the field list.
     Problem: I cannot seem to find the right function for the trend line (relates to problem 1).

All help is much appreciated. 

Thanks in advance.

Floris

Floris van der Poel
cpmview
5 REPLIES 5

JackLacava
Community Manager
Community Manager

I guess the "orthodox" way to address this in a Report component is via calculated fields, but there isn't a function for it, you'll have to build it from primitives. If you prefer to do it in VB, you would have to create a DataCell Function in Finance Business Rules, then add a column to the Cube View that uses that function.

However, if you know that you could build your chart with an Excel function in an easier manner, you could instead work with the Spreadsheet component and create your chart there. Spreadsheets can be embedded in Dashboards, and from there into Books.

giutor73
New Contributor III

@JackLacava wrote:

However, if you know that you could build your chart with an Excel function in an easier manner, you could instead work with the Spreadsheet component and create your chart there. Spreadsheets can be embedded in Dashboards, and from there into Books.

Hi Jack, from there how to plot the regression line? There is no option to do that.

Thanks

You still have to calculate the values, but it should be easier because the included statistical functions (for example LINEST ) are superior to what you can find in Reports' calculated fields.

aelmehelmi
New Contributor II

hi Floris,

Could you please share if you were able to add the trendline to advanced charts in OS? or any other workarounds.

thanks

Amr

Hi Amr,

Unfortunately not... I will be looking into this and update accordingly.

BR,

Floris

Floris van der Poel
cpmview