Variable Name in Bi VIewer

Colin
New Contributor II

Hi All,

For a Bi Viewer Dashboard I use a Cube View which calculates values with a GetDataCell calculation. I display the values in a line chart. The values are displayed correctly, but the calculated variable name in the legend does not match the defined name in the Cube View calculation, instead the first used account name from the calculation is used.

How can I use the name I defined in the cube view cell in BI Viewer, or if it is not possible, how can I rename the variable name manually in BI Viewer?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

JackLacava
Community Manager
Community Manager

If I understand correctly, you'd want those records to be marked "COGS %", is that right?

The easiest way to go about that is to create a Calculated Field in Bi Viewer, by right-clicking on the datasource name:

JackLacava_0-1692111037843.png

In the Expression Editor that comes up, you just enter the name you want, surrounded by single-quotes:

JackLacava_1-1692111092559.png

That will return the value 'My Name' in that field for all records. If you need more complex logic, you can implement it with a more complex expression, like IIF etc. For example, to replace an account name, you'd use Replace([Account], 'MyWrongAccount', 'COGS %')

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

JackLacava
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey Colin,

could you post the CV calculation definition please? And are you using the CV Data Adapter or the CV MD one?

Colin
New Contributor II

Hi Jack,

this is my CV calculation: GetDataCell(Divide((A#GP - A#Sales), A#Sales)):Name(COGS %)

And I´m using the CV MD Command Type.

JackLacava
Community Manager
Community Manager

If I understand correctly, you'd want those records to be marked "COGS %", is that right?

The easiest way to go about that is to create a Calculated Field in Bi Viewer, by right-clicking on the datasource name:

JackLacava_0-1692111037843.png

In the Expression Editor that comes up, you just enter the name you want, surrounded by single-quotes:

JackLacava_1-1692111092559.png

That will return the value 'My Name' in that field for all records. If you need more complex logic, you can implement it with a more complex expression, like IIF etc. For example, to replace an account name, you'd use Replace([Account], 'MyWrongAccount', 'COGS %')

Colin
New Contributor II

Yes the Replace function solved the problem, thank you Jack!

Colin
New Contributor II

Is it possible to use more than one replace function in a calculated field? If so how do I do that, 'AND' and a comma(,) did not work as separators between two replace functions.

JackLacava
Community Manager
Community Manager

I suspect the logic you're after is something like "if we have name X in the record, replace it with A; if we have Y, replace it with B; otherwise, leave it as it was". You can achieve this by nesting IIF calls.

Iif( Contains( [Account], 'SomeName'),
     Replace([Account], 'SomeName', 'FirstReplacement'),
     iif( Contains([Account], 'SomeOtherName'),
	    Replace([Account], 'SomeOtherName', 'SecondReplacement'),
	    [Account]
     )
)

Note that Replace is necessary only if you want to replace part of the original text; if you simply want to wipe what was there before, you can just return the value directly, i.e.

IIF( Contains( [Account], 'SomeName'),
     'New Value',
     IIF( Contains( [Account], 'SomeOtherName'),
          'Another Value',
          [Account]
     )
)

Colin
New Contributor II

Thank you again, it worked!

I was able to use the multiple replace function also Jack, Thank you!