Workday Integration

OSAdmin
Valued Contributor

Hi there. I am new to the community but am wondering if any of the users are using Workday as the general ledger / ERP and Onestream for Reporting, etc.

Posted by Andrea at Ensign Services

Migrated from ONECommunity

12 REPLIES 12

OSAdmin
Valued Contributor

You can bring in data from Workday HCM ( HR data) or Workday Financials( GL Balance etc) using REST APIs. we have used Mulesoft for HR data integration from Workday to Onestream. you can use Onestream transformation if any mapping needed. Once data landed in Onestream Stage or Custom table or Application , you can use Onestream dashboard or Analytics blend for reporting. Although Workday PRISM has similar reporting capabilities but less flexibility as Analytic Blend.

Posted by Khirod Palai

Great. I know the process of extracting from HR through Mulesoft but how are you inserting into OS stage table using mulesoft ? or it is kind of 2 step process, 1. Extract & load into Database & 2. Use OS Direct Connect ?

AlexLadd
New Contributor II

We've built an integration to Workday financials. The business Rule Connector uses the Workday API to run and retrieve a workday report. That way, if you ever need to update the data integration you can just tweak the workday report and it'll flow into OneStream. We built it for a client, but, they don't seem to be answering this post so I'd be happy to talk through it with you.

Hi Alex, 

Thanks for your insight. We are doing lot of transformations using stored procedure on the data we are receiving from workday before loading to People Planning register table. Is it possible to apply those mappings if we want to do a direct connect from OneStream to Workday using API ?

AlexLadd
New Contributor II

Sorry, for some reason I missed this reply!  sridharm92, yes, you could definitely do that.  I'm assuming the stored procedures are in the OneStream staging area or at least in the OneStream database?  The API connection basically just ingests the data from Workday into OneStream.  The client I was talking about has both Workday financials and HCM so we have two different destinations and two different calls but the front end of the process, the API call, is essentially the exact same.  The only difference is that it calls two different reports.

No problem, thanks for your reply Alex. The stored procedure is in the external database we are bringing data from workday to external tables, running the stored procedure for data transformations and pushing to Register table. 

If we use direct connector, I assume we have an option to pull data from Workday to Register table directly and where can we perform those transformations ?

AlexLadd
New Contributor II

Yes, you could do that.  However, if there is access I don't see why you couldn't use the direct connector to to pull the data from Workday via API and direct it to the external database.  You'd probably have to set up a shared connection or allow the OneStream system access to that database via a BR Connector.

JonKunert
New Contributor III

We are using Workday for our ERP,  we are currently exporting the data to an S3 bucket and OS is picking it from there.  Which works well, when we can get the data out of WD in a timely matter.  The exports from WD get longer as the year progresses.  

AlexLadd
New Contributor II

Yes, we ran into an issue using the API where we had to parse the report output into sections so the API server wouldn't choke.  The Workday API servers have limitations set on them so the amount of data passing through can be a limiting factor.  Especially in their test environments.

Hi @JonKunert , Which library do you use for retrieving files from S3? Currently I am trying with WinSCP, but it does not allow streaming for the S3 protocol. I am not able to get a correct path using the GetFiles() method and are now looking at the Amazon SDK and seeing that as my only option.

Brooks
New Contributor

Oops!  I meant to make this an original post.  Sorry to barge in. 

We are trying to pull WD HR data into OneStream.  At this point, we are just trying to prove we can do it.  I'm trying to setup a data adapter to pull the data using an SIC Direct Connection, but I don't know how to start with the data connector.  What type of data connector?  How do I tell the da to grab the data from the SIC?  Searching the OneStream documentation for these yields nothing and the Foundation Guidebook doesn't speak to the particulars either.

Hi Brooks,

There are also some training materials on SIC in OneStream Navigator. I believe they go through the process of setting it up and using it although its been a while since I went through it.

DanielWillis_0-1697584790930.png

- Daniel