XFget to retrieve name from description

JonKunert
Contributor II

Is there a function to lookup the name of a member from description.  I've been looking at the functions for a couple hours and cant find anything

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

rhankey
New Contributor III

There is no api function that directly returns a member name from a description.  However you can use api.Members.GetMembersUsingFilter() with a filter of something like "A#Root.DescendantsInclusive.Where(Description = Equity)", which will return a list of Members matching that filter.  You would need to figure out what to do if you got zero or more than one matches, as Descriptions are not required to be unique.

"

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

SH_INT
Contributor

I would venture no as Member Descriptions do not need to be unique so they couldn't be guaranteed to return a specific member. 

Thats what i figured, but was hoping I was wrong

Yeah, the hours of searching was probably your biggest clue 😉

If only Only OS had a kind of document where you could find such answers.  I think it’s called documentation.  

rhankey
New Contributor III

There is no api function that directly returns a member name from a description.  However you can use api.Members.GetMembersUsingFilter() with a filter of something like "A#Root.DescendantsInclusive.Where(Description = Equity)", which will return a list of Members matching that filter.  You would need to figure out what to do if you got zero or more than one matches, as Descriptions are not required to be unique.

"

That will work. We dont use the description in multiple places.   Thank you for this