How to know Static IP of OS Cloud instance?

agent09
New Contributor II

We're planning to load data from Oracle EBS into OneStream thru REST API. However, during our tests, we are unable to reach Oracle EBS using both postman (error: getaddrinfo ENOTFOUND) and business rule (error: remote server cannot be resolved).

Infra team from the Oracle side asked us for the Static IP that OneStream uses but I am not familiar on how to get this, any thoughts? They'll use this so that they can configure and allow requests from this IP.

Appreciate your help.

9 REPLIES 9

ChristianW
Valued Contributor

I think, you need to ask cloud support for this information, they should be able to help.

agent09
New Contributor II

Thank you! I have logged a ticket to OS support.

DanielWillis
Contributor III

Here is what I used to find it out.

Dim url As String = "https://api.ipify.org?format=json"
		Dim request As WebRequest = WebRequest.Create(url)
		request.Method = "Get"

Dim response As WebResponse = request.GetResponse()
		Dim dataStream As Stream
        dataStream = response.GetResponseStream()  
        Dim reader As New StreamReader(dataStream)  
        Dim jsonResponse As String = reader.ReadToEnd()

brapi.ErrorLog.LogMEssage(si,"ip",jsonResponse)

Thanks, I have tried it and it gets an IP. Interestingly, it's the same IP that pops up when I try to ping the OS server address using command prompt.

I logged a ticket to OS just to be sure.

JackLacava
Community Manager
Community Manager

@DanielWillis 's answer is an interesting DIY solution (effectively asking a third-party to discover the system's IP), but between load balancers and other cloud magic things might not always work. To be on the safe side, I would suggest asking Onestream Support - I'm sure they'd be happy to provide the necessary info.

agent09
New Contributor II

Thanks! I also tried it and it gets an IP. Just to be on the safe side, I also logged a ticket to OS. 

Are you guessing there might be something that may cause it not to work or is there something specific you know about? I've had no problems with this method to date but admit I'm no network guru either. 

Every environment is different and obviously I'm not privvy to the details of yours, but generally speaking, there might be situations where network addresses might differ when accessing systems from different locations. Also, because many Onestream systems are composed of different servers, depending on where that code is actually running (extender vs custom calc etc) might potentially also give you different results.

Last but not least, and not necessarily linked to the original problem but in general terms, "for google" - it's a remote http call, which is relatively slow and expensive. For something executed repeatedly, it might make sense to have something that avoids making that call - it would probably make the solution slightly less dynamic but faster and less risky (what if Ipify.org goes down?).

I get what you're saying but we're talking about cloud environments so they should be the same and it's just a one off if it's a static IP so I think it's a perfectly acceptable solution in this case. 

Have definitely faced trouble connecting to environments with funky routing though. E.g. Azure to Azure.