Trapping WF Import/Validate/Load Errors

JunBinghay
New Contributor II

Does anyone have any sample code they can share to see how to trap errors during an automated dataload process?  Currently, all I can see is that the dataload process executed and completed but it does not tell you if something happened in between.  I'm having no luck capturing if an error was encountered during the import or validate steps.

9 REPLIES 9

Koemets
Contributor

I believe you lliterally need to capture the status:

Dim MyTimeDimAppInfo As TimeDimAppInfoEx = New timeDimAppInfoEx
Dim statusMsg As String = batchInfo.GetCompleteBatchStatusMessage(si, MyTimeDimAppInfo, True, True)

The statusMsg will be the placeholder for the, well, status messages, that you can sort thru, display via error log or send by email. Something like:

If statusMsg.IndexOf("Validate Intersections")...

Gidon_Albert
Contributor

Here's an example that executes a direct connect import and captures the status. If the status of wfUC_Import contains an error, the code logs the message, sends out an e-mail, and exits the rule. If no error is found, it logs a successful completion and moves on to the next step.

Execute Direct Connection Load Method with Error Tracing.png

Here's the actual code:

'Define the Workflow unit cluster
Dim wfUC As WorkflowUnitClusterPk = BRApi.Workflow.General.GetWorkflowUnitClusterPk(si, wfChannelName, ScenarioName, TimeName)

'Execute Data management load to process the workflow channels

'Excecute direct connection load method
Dim wfUC_Import As LoadTransformProcessInfo = BRApi.Import.Process.ExecuteParseAndTransform(si, wfUC ,"NA", Nothing, LoadMethod, directConnection, False)
logMsg = "Import: " & wfUC_Import.LogMessage & vbCrLf
If wfUC_Import.HasError 'Update the log message and Send e-mail on error
logMessage += ">>> " & wfUC_Import.LogMessage & vbCrLf
logMessage += "Import step has errors. Click the [Refresh Application] button in the top right corner to proceed."
Me.SendNewMemEmail(si, globals, api, args, timeName, wfChannelName, harvestFilePath, "Error", logMsg)
GoTo GetOut
Else
logMessage += ">>> Import step " & wfUC_Import.Status.ToString & ". Row count=" & wfUC_Import.RowCount & ". Duration=" & wfUC_Import.FullProcessDuration & " Milliseconds." & vbCrLf & vbCrLf

End If
'********* debug info *********
If debugSwitch = True Then brapi.ErrorLog.LogMessage(si,"Import: " & wfUC_Import.LogMessage)
'******************************

JunBinghay
New Contributor II

Thank you @Koemets and @Gidon_Albert  for sharing your ideas.  These helped a lot.  I was able to figure out how to handle if the autoload process encountered an error by using the statement below:

Dim state = brapi.Workflow.Status.GetWorkflowStatus(si, si.WorkflowClusterPk, True)

If state.HasErrors = "True"
'Do Something
End If

Hi Jun, 

Did you build this rule within Extensibility rule?

@Mustafa_A  Yes.

Thanks!

I'm trying this out for curiosity. Did you set this BR as a sequence within your load data management?

Here is the code. Would appreciate some feedback/comment. 

'Define the Workflow unit cluster
Dim wfClusterPk As WorkflowUnitClusterPk = BRApi.Workflow.General.GetWorkflowUnitClusterPk(si, "Mgmt Process Load.Import", "Actual", "2021M12")

Dim state = BRApi.Workflow.Status.Getworkflowstatus(si, wfClusterPk, False)

If state.HasErrors = "True" Then

'Connection to the mail server (Defined in Application Server setup)
Dim emailConnectionName As String = "OneStreamEmail"

'Email content (Subject & Body)
Dim subject As String = "Test Test Test "

Dim messageBody As String = "You've got error"

'Add email addresses
Dim toEmail As New List(Of String)
Dim userEmailAddress1 As String = "makbar@xyz.com"
toEmail.Add(userEmailAddress1)

'Send the message
BRApi.Utilities.SendMail(si, emailConnectionName, toEmail, subject, messageBody, Nothing)

Else Return Nothing

End If

I believe this would work.   I would go ahead and create a DM job to test this.  If you are not getting to the email component during your test, I'd throw out exceptions to see what's going on. 

kbon
New Contributor

Hello,

can you please share with me the code used to automate the workflow (import,validate,load) ? 

thank you

Gidon_Albert
Contributor

Hi Kevin,

Happy to share the code, but there is a limit to the number of characters a message can contain. Happy to share via e-mail. I'm at gidon.albert@morganfranklin.com .