Unable to get value from another column in Parser BR

RobbSalzmann
Valued Contributor

OneStream V7.0.1
We have a Data Source that takes data file that has 12 data columns Oct ... Sep.
The year for the data in the 12 data columns is a field "Fiscal Year", the first column of the data file.
We have a Parser BR that is called on each of the 12 data columns that looks at the first field in each record to get the year and concatenates that with the M<number> month for each month column to give the correct Time dimension member in which to store the data.  e.g. 2023M1

The problem is we're getting the row header "Fiscal Year" instead of the year value in the record, so the string being returned looks like Fiscal YearM1

How do we get the year data from the first column instead of the column header?

Public Function Main(ByVal si As SessionInfo, ByVal globals As BRGlobals, ByVal api As ParserDimension, ByVal args As ParserArgs) As Object
                Dim fiscalYear As String() = {"Oct","Nov","Dec""Jan","Feb","Mar","Apr","May","Jun","Jul","Aug","Sep"}
                Dim YearColPosition As Integer = 0
                Dim year As String = String.Empty
                Dim month As String = String.Empty

Try
                'Both of these keep giving us the column header "Fiscal Year" 
                'instead Of the value In the currently parsed record
                year = api.Parser.DelimitedParsedValues(YearColPosition)
                'year = args.Line.Split(",")(YearColPosition)

'this marries the index of the month name in the months array
                'with M to give us the M1 notation for period.
                month = $"M{Array.IndexOf(fiscalYear, args.Value)+1}"
                BRApi.ErrorLog.LogMessage(si, $"Time: {year}{month}")

Return $"{year}{month}"            
            Catch ex As Exception
                Throw ErrorHandler.LogWrite(si, New XFException(si, ex))
            End Try
        End Function

RobbSalzmann_0-1683144413630.png

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

JackLacava
Community Manager
Community Manager

This approach should work

1. add a new Source Dimension for Time of type "Matrix DataKey Text".
  2. change that data type to "DataKey Text" and assign it to the Fiscal Year column
  3. modify the rule above to just return M1, M2, etc.

The result should automatically concatenate year and period for the exploded records.

View solution in original post

This and the following code in a BR called by each of the month columns solved for this requirement.  Thanks @JackLacava  @ckattookaran and @franciscoamores for all the considerations.
RobbSalzmann_0-1683207568597.png

View solution in original post

23 REPLIES 23

JackLacava
Community Manager
Community Manager

This approach should work

1. add a new Source Dimension for Time of type "Matrix DataKey Text".
  2. change that data type to "DataKey Text" and assign it to the Fiscal Year column
  3. modify the rule above to just return M1, M2, etc.

The result should automatically concatenate year and period for the exploded records.

This and the following code in a BR called by each of the month columns solved for this requirement.  Thanks @JackLacava  @ckattookaran and @franciscoamores for all the considerations.
RobbSalzmann_0-1683207568597.png

I think I've this rule somewhere 🤣🤣 I was not happy with the split the rule and then go by the index. I've to look this up and see if I still have it somewhere where you can lookup a value by giving the column header.

It was a struggle to remember where it was. Luckily I thought of blogging about it and found it in my drafts. (almost a year later 🤣)

Dim dimensionKey As String = String.Empty
Using dbConn As DbConnInfo = BRApi.Database.CreateApplicationDbConnInfo(si)
	' Layout name is nothing but the name of the data source
	Dim dbwIDParserWheres As New List(Of DbWhere) From {New DbWhere("LayoutName", DbOperator.IsEqualTo, "SalesPlanning_Temp")}
	Dim layoutKey As String = BRApi.Database.LookupRowFieldValue(si, "App", "ParserLayouts", dbwIDParserWheres, "UniqueID", "")
	' we need to get the dimension key from the parserdimensions table
	' key for the sorteddictonary is as follows
	' datatype\displayorder\dimensionname
	If Not String.IsNullOrEmpty(layoutKey)
		Dim dbwParserDimWheres As New List(Of DbWhere) From {New DbWhere("LayoutKey", DbOperator.IsEqualTo, layoutKey), New DbWhere("DimensionName", DbOperator.IsEqualTo, "Ic")}
		dimensionKey = BRApi.Database.LookupRowFieldValue(si, "App", "ParserDimensions", dbwParserDimWheres, "Concat(Concat(Concat(Concat(DimensionDataType, '\'),DisplayOrder), '\') , DimensionName)", "")						
	End If
End Using

' get IC dimension of current line, location is mapped to IC
Dim icDim As ParserDimension =  api.Parser.Dimensions.Item(dimensionKey)				
Dim locationCode As String = icDim.Value

I've updated it to use the DbWhere clause. 

Hi Celvin,

dimension keys and all other parser layout details is also available in the transformer object.

Api.Parser.Dimensions is a dictionary which has ParserDimension as value. In that object I think we can find all details for the line being processed.

There is also api  api.Parser.GetFieldValuesForSourceDataRow(si As SessionInfo, rowID As Guid) wew you can pass the rowID to get a dictionary with all values from source row. RowID is stored in the ParserDimension object.

Yes it does. You can see that almost to the end of the code. The code above is to get the key if the ParserDimension. Now the Gersource one needs a guid and to get the guid, you need the same dance. 

Sure but I mean you don't need to query the database as that information is already in the Parse object.

api.Parser.Dimensions will have all keys.

We used similar approach to get all data source entries for source id:

Dim parserDimSourceIdKeys As List(Of String) = objTransformer.Parser.Dimensions.Keys.Where(Function(x) x.EndsWith("si")).ToList

Ahhh, that is a good idea. Because the key end with the dimension name. Oh yes. There you go then there is no need for a DB query then. 

I like the possibility of this: api.Parser.GetFieldValuesForSourceDataRow(si As SessionInfo, rowID As Guid) 

I prefer to keep the logic in the single BR than spread it out over other columns.  

Not sure what you mean by keeping it in the same BR, the code above is going to go. I'm not sure how you can get the row guid.

This should work:

api.Parser.GetFieldValuesForSourceDataRow(si, api.RowGuid)

That returns dictionary

I serialized the dictionary to Json and wrote it to the log to see what's inside.  Its empty.  As @JackLacava points out, it seems nothing row oriented is populated in a matrix rule.  IMHO, this could be where we most need that functionality.

as I mentioned, would need to some test myself. I was just guessing 🙂

i can see if i can reuse something from golf stream...

That might work, but I would argue that the performance implications of doing two expensive db calls on every single record might give you issues at scale.

It is true. Unless there is a way to add that to globals and get it from there. 

You can put in globals but I think all details needed in the parser BR should be available via api (ParserDimension object) and args (ParserArgs)

franciscoamores
Contributor II

I'd need to do some testing but you could assign year column to attribute and then use it to concatenate in BR assigned to Time. To get Mx you can use replace expression in Time dim, similar to this:

franciscoamores_0-1683182382437.png

Francisco! 🙂
We thought about using an attribute also, but are unable to figure out which object the attribute is hiding in in the BR, or if the BR even has access to it.  Maybe you will find it in your testing.

Back in the days of Upstream, the record being operated on was one of the arguments of the parsing/transformation function.  Its odd how that design didn't follow here. It made things very easy having the entire record available while parsing, as it's common to apply logic using the contents of multiple columns.

It does work like that, just not with Matrix loads.

@JackLacava  any suggestion on how to get a value from another column in a matrix rule?

Line being processed is in args.Line. You can also use api functions to read data source setup in case that's needed.

Let's do something, can you reproduce this for GolfStream app so I can have a look there.

You will have to attach or send data source a sample file 🙂

He's working with a Matrix, those won't populate args.Line in the same way. It shouldn't be a problem, because values can be automatically concatenated like I mentioned above.

Did you try this? https://community.onestreamsoftware.com/t5/Workflow-and-Data-Integration/Unable-to-get-value-from-an...

As long as you put that extra Time field before all the other ones in the sequence, it will work (tested in 7.4).

Beyond that, you can set a rule on the Amount field; that will run for all values, with a populated line in args.Line.