Workflow Name from Workflow Setting Property

Gidon_Albert
Contributor

Does any one know if there is a BR command that can get the Workflow Name value from the Workflow Settings area of the Profile Properties (e.g. Import, Validate, Process) in a business rule? 

Workflow Name.png

To be clear, I'm not looking for the name of the workflow from the General section. I'm looking for the part of the workflow that determines the chevrons/bubbles that walk the user through the workflow steps

Thanks,
G

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Gidon,

I'm not aware of a supported or clean way to convert a workflow name key to a meaningful name. Perhaps someone else here may know a way?

How is the workflow to check being determined in your rule? If the workflow to check the property for is the user's POV workflow profile, you can use the following approach to retrieve the user's WorkflowInitInfo object and from there, you can retrieve a legible workflow name.

'get the user's POV WF profile info
Dim wfInfo As WorkflowInitInfo = BRApi.Workflow.General.GetUserWorkflowInitInfo(si)
'retrieve the WF name property from the WF
Dim wfName As String = wfInfo.GetSelectedWorkflowUnitInfo().WorkflowName

Regards,

Nick Kroppe

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

NickKroppe
Contributor

Hi Gidon,

The GetAttributeValue workflow profile info property will enable you to retrieve the workflow key value equivalent to the property you are attempting to query. You then may be able to make use of this key by leveraging the shared constants workflow enumeration helper. Hoping this snippet helps.

'retrieve the WF Info for houston.import
Dim wfProfileInfo As WorkflowProfileInfo = BRApi.Workflow.Metadata.GetProfile(si, "Houston.Import")
'retrieve the wf name key as a string for the default scenario type
Dim wfNameKey As String = wfProfileInfo.GetAttributeValueForDefaultScenarioType(sharedConstants.WorkflowProfileAttributeIndexes.Workflow, String.Empty)
'check to see if houston.import has a workflow name of Import-Validate-Load aka a Simple Data Load
If wfNameKey.XFEqualsIgnoreCase(SharedConstants.WorkflowKeys.Workflows.SimpleDataLoad) Then
	'do something
End If

Regards,

Nick Kroppe

Gidon_Albert
Contributor

Thanks Nick,

Is there a way to lookup what wfNameKey equates to in English? In other words, I want to return the name, not check to if it is "Import, Validate, Load".

Hi Gidon,

I'm not aware of a supported or clean way to convert a workflow name key to a meaningful name. Perhaps someone else here may know a way?

How is the workflow to check being determined in your rule? If the workflow to check the property for is the user's POV workflow profile, you can use the following approach to retrieve the user's WorkflowInitInfo object and from there, you can retrieve a legible workflow name.

'get the user's POV WF profile info
Dim wfInfo As WorkflowInitInfo = BRApi.Workflow.General.GetUserWorkflowInitInfo(si)
'retrieve the WF name property from the WF
Dim wfName As String = wfInfo.GetSelectedWorkflowUnitInfo().WorkflowName

Regards,

Nick Kroppe

Thanks Nick! This solution works perfectly.

Is there a way to retrieve the status of each of the steps in a workflow (Import, Validate, Load):

Step:      Status

Import       Success

Validate     Success

Load          Success

Hi Oscar,

Check out the Trapping-WF-Import-Validate-Load-Errors thread. It has some code examples of how to get the status of each step. 

Oscar
Contributor

Thanks for the reference. In the examples the status is captured and presented at the time of running the command (ExecuteParseAndTransform) for example. What I am trying to do is retrieve  the status in a different BR or step in a DM. The way I ended up accomplishing this was to save the needed run information into a txt file and retrieving the file at the end of the run and submitting in an email

sameburn
New Contributor III

Hi. Realise this is an old post but I stumbled across it in my search for the same answer. 

In my use case I wanted to pass in the profilekey myself rather than deriving from si (so GetUserWorkflowInitInfo unfortunately not an option).  However, we can achieve this via the GetWorkflowStatus BRApi (see snippet). 

' Declare WF Variables
Dim wfProfile As String = "Houston.Import"
Dim wfScenario As String = "Actual"
Dim wfTime As String = "2023M1"

' Derive WorkflowUnitClusterPk
Dim wfClusterPK As WorkflowUnitClusterPk = BRApi.Workflow.General.GetWorkflowUnitClusterPk(si, wfProfile, wfScenario, wfTime)	
' Derive WorkflowInfo
Dim wfinfo As WorkflowInfo = BRApi.Workflow.Status.GetWorkflowStatus(si, wfClusterPk, True)
' Get WorkflowName e.g. Import, Validate, Load
Dim wfName As String = wfinfo.Name

' Log Result -> Throw Error	
Throw New XFException(StringHelper.RemoveWhiteSpace(wfName))

This will return Import, Validate, Load, etc (depending on setup) as the returned objects property name

Cheers

Sam

The only issue there is with the hardcoded values. I'm not sure whether it was you on the other thread where I commented to use the ProfileTable (use that if and only if there is an access issue that is preventing you from getting the parent member) to get the name/guid of the workflow and use that to create your pk.