Alternative hierachies consolidation

AndreaF
Contributor III

Hi,

my Entity dimension has a main hierarchy with TopMemberA being the top member, and an alternative hierarchy with TopMemberB as top member. It looks like this:

TopMemberA

- ParentA1

-- Entity1

-- Entity2

- ParentA2

-- Entity3

-- Entity4

TopMemberB

- ParentB1

-- Entity1

-- Entity3

- ParentB2

-- Entity2

-- Entity4

The issue I have is that whenever I consolidate TopMemberA the status of TopMemberB changes to CN, and vice versa consolidation TopMemberB changes the status of TopMemberA changes to CN.

I don't see why consolidating one branch of the hierarchy should change the status of an alternative hierarchy. Did anybody else notice this? How have you solved it?

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Henning
Contributor III

Hi, what do you mean by "consolidate", exactly? What you describe is the expected behavior when you use "Force Consolidate" - provided that everything else stays the same, and no data has been loaded or entered in the meantime between your two consolidate operations.

A "Force Consolidate" impacts all entities below the entity you force consolidate, hence, changing the calculation status for your alternate hierarchy. When you use a simple "Consolidate", it should not impact the calc status of the alternate hierarchy. If you consolidate using workflow process, make sure to check what the process step has been set to use (force or normal consolidate). 

If you were already aware of that and ran your tests as needed, there may also be e.g. a business rule impacting the status of entities even though you only use a normal consolidate. But that needs a deeper dive into the solution.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Henning
Contributor III

Hi, what do you mean by "consolidate", exactly? What you describe is the expected behavior when you use "Force Consolidate" - provided that everything else stays the same, and no data has been loaded or entered in the meantime between your two consolidate operations.

A "Force Consolidate" impacts all entities below the entity you force consolidate, hence, changing the calculation status for your alternate hierarchy. When you use a simple "Consolidate", it should not impact the calc status of the alternate hierarchy. If you consolidate using workflow process, make sure to check what the process step has been set to use (force or normal consolidate). 

If you were already aware of that and ran your tests as needed, there may also be e.g. a business rule impacting the status of entities even though you only use a normal consolidate. But that needs a deeper dive into the solution.

You are right, I was testing using the Force Consolidate, hence the problem. In any case I have created a Parent member of both hierarchies, so that other admin users can run the consolidation of that top member directly. In that case even using the Force consolidate they will not have any issue with the alternative hierarchy consolidation status.

Happy that I was able to point you in the right direction!

( Adding this also for other partners / users who may be reading this at some point as a reminder: ) Please keep in mind the performance implications of consolidating this new top member that combines two alternate hierarchies. This (likely) duplicates the number of entities consolidated and a "force" consolidates entities even with an "OK" status, therefore taking (considerably) longer to consolidate. That may be ok in your case, but if someone with a large number of entities does that, this may not result in a consolidation time the users expect / need for their closing process.