Button to call DM job or run Consolidation in Excel

harijanakiram
New Contributor

Hi Experts,

We are working on create a button in Excel for end users to trigger DM job or Consolidation. Idea here is to have more than one consolidation with different POVs and don't want to rely on the users to get the POVs/data units selected. We would like to do this with a DM job with a passing parameter or through a direct call defining the POV.

Per OneStream Support Team, this is a custom solution and can be done using REST API. We are currently on version 7.4.2 and recommendation is to upgrade to V8.

Wanted to check in the forum if anyone has implemented this solution and share your thoughts.

Thank you in advance and appreciate your assistance on this.

P.S. We don't want to use the built-in consolidation feature that comes with Excel Add-in.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

JackLacava
Community Manager
Community Manager

I wouldn't say you need to upgrade to V8 (unless there is something about your security setup that requires it), but the suggestion of using the REST Api is sound. With that, you can trigger a DM job pretty easily.

This said, it seems like a lot of "reinventing the wheel". It will require quite a bit of effort and Excel VBA for fairly little gain. I believe nowadays you can launch Linked Dashboards from Excel, so you could just have a Dashboard that can launch a Custom Calculation.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

JackLacava
Community Manager
Community Manager

I wouldn't say you need to upgrade to V8 (unless there is something about your security setup that requires it), but the suggestion of using the REST Api is sound. With that, you can trigger a DM job pretty easily.

This said, it seems like a lot of "reinventing the wheel". It will require quite a bit of effort and Excel VBA for fairly little gain. I believe nowadays you can launch Linked Dashboards from Excel, so you could just have a Dashboard that can launch a Custom Calculation.

Thanks, Jack! We did think about using a Dashboard and launching that from the Excel. However, a button in Excel itself was preferred so that it's a single click for the end users.