Create separate hierarchies for both cubes with a prefix?

OSAdmin
Valued Contributor
Originally posted by @ckattookaran on 12/20/2018

I've a question on Entity extensibility (I know that it is not possible), however this is what I've
In LRP cube Entity is at upper level. However, that is not true for all entities it is a ragged hierarchy.
How do you handle this scenario.

1. Create separate hierarchies for both cubes with a prefix?
  2. Now how about the data movement? DM job to pull parent data, again some entities are base at both cubes.
  3. Swap entity to a UD and extend it, now what is implication for this - client is not happy with changing entity
  4. Add a field which says which entities to extract

How can i handle data entry for LRP at Houston and other base entities (some could be base in Finance cube and some are parents) and move Finance data from Finance to LRP.
2ee7f221db5dd4908feee3a84b9619f7.png

1 REPLY 1

OSAdmin
Valued Contributor
Originally posted by Chul Smith

When you talk about extended cubes (ie. linked) you're extending the entity hierarchy. However, extending cubes works in the opposite way of extending any other dimension. So where in the accounts, you'd extend Sales to more detailed accounts, it doesn't work the same way in Entities. To handle entering at Houston in LRP and HH/SH in Finance, I believe you won't be able to link cubes. You'll need to move data between the two cubes - either DM or connector rule.

Celvin you can also change the Adjustment Type on the accounts for a specific scenario type which will allow you to type into parent Entities. I've found that to be a good solution for specific scenarios which want to enter data into parent Entities.
The only thing to think about is it writes to O#AdjInput so it would no longer allow journal entries to that account/scenario type combination. But, that usually is OK for any LRP scenario as it won't utilize journal entries.