Exporting List of Entity Orphans

rleve2
New Contributor

Is there any way to export a list of orphaned entity members?  We pull in hierarchy information from SAP and recently over 1000 entity members were blocked in SAP.  This resulted in them going into orphan status in our OneStream instance when we updated our metadata.  The issue is that some of these orphans had data and that is causing reconciliation issues.  If I could export a list of the orphans, I could match them against all of the SAP entities that have data to determine which orphans needed to be restored.  Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Henning
Valued Contributor

I was referring to the Grid View in a dashboard. Adding to that a data adapter using SQL. After Chris' post, I realized the confusion.

Henning_0-1709641824675.png

What you found is obviously better, basically a pre-packaged solution for what I suggested. Good to know Application Reports has a report that includes orphans!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Henning
Valued Contributor

Hi, one should be able to create a grid view or another preferred format to display orphaned members. I am not aware of a native api function to do that at the moment (though I have never looked into it), but at least a SQL query should do.

On another (in my view more important) note, this sounds like there is a rule set up to just push entity members from SAP into OneStream without proper process. I would recommend to discuss with with the system architect to add a process around that, possibly utilizing the Marketplace solution ACM / Application Control Manager. To me, a process where entities are just imported and may end up being orphans without any list of failures or safeguards preventing this would be hard to accept. Especially when the number of entities is not just a handful which may be managed manually, but in the thousands.

You can also think about opening a case (ticket) and get in touch with the OneStream Remote Consulting team to discuss whether they can help you set up a possibly safer option.

cbriscoe
New Contributor III

I agree with Henning. Please make use of the Grid view functionality to filter orphaned entity members. We recommend adding some type of validation to the Integration process to identify orphaned entities. 

Enjoy OneStream.

rleve2
New Contributor

Unless I am doing something wrong, orphans don't show up in the Grid view.  We did find that we can export them using the Application Reports dashboard under Metadata Analysis.  There is an option to create a report of all Orphaned Members.  From there you can export the list into a variety of file formats.

We are using ACM and generally have checks in place to catch these.  The issue was with the number of blocked entities coming in this month.  This is not something that is normal for us.  Thanks for the input, really appreciate it.

Henning
Valued Contributor

I was referring to the Grid View in a dashboard. Adding to that a data adapter using SQL. After Chris' post, I realized the confusion.

Henning_0-1709641824675.png

What you found is obviously better, basically a pre-packaged solution for what I suggested. Good to know Application Reports has a report that includes orphans!

cbriscoe
New Contributor III

The orphan parent will not show up on the Grid view but on the Members list which will show up in the Grid view, allowing you to view and export them if necessary. see below.

cbriscoe_0-1709642561798.png

This screen below is showing Grid view - now you can use the packaged report or write a report to just show them.

cbriscoe_1-1709642616607.png

Nice - enjoy OneStream 😊