Finding UD4 dimensions which have text 8 text and finding where it is used

RehaanAbdulla
New Contributor II

Good day 

I was wondering if there was a way to find out which child members of UD4 that has text 8 text in there without going through each member. Once we find that out then is there a way to see where the text 8 is being used in the application

Regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

MarcusH
Contributor III

If you don't want to go through every member, you can go into Dimensions | Grid View. Select the top member and hierarchy/base and specify the name and Text8 should be displayed. Refresh the list, click on the UD4 column header and remove [empty] from the list, then click on the grid, press Control+A then Control+C. Go to your favourite editor and press Control+V. That will give you all the members with a value in Text8.

For finding where they are used, I would extract the whole application to zip file, unzip the xml files to a separate folder, then use Notepad++ to search all the xml files for the members or Text8 value. It will depend on how long the string is of course - if you are searching for 'name' or 'property' you will get a load of hits you don't want. You could write a rule to do it but that will take a while and searching the xmls is probably quicker. It depends if this is a process you want to run more than once.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

MarcusH
Contributor III

If you don't want to go through every member, you can go into Dimensions | Grid View. Select the top member and hierarchy/base and specify the name and Text8 should be displayed. Refresh the list, click on the UD4 column header and remove [empty] from the list, then click on the grid, press Control+A then Control+C. Go to your favourite editor and press Control+V. That will give you all the members with a value in Text8.

For finding where they are used, I would extract the whole application to zip file, unzip the xml files to a separate folder, then use Notepad++ to search all the xml files for the members or Text8 value. It will depend on how long the string is of course - if you are searching for 'name' or 'property' you will get a load of hits you don't want. You could write a rule to do it but that will take a while and searching the xmls is probably quicker. It depends if this is a process you want to run more than once.