How to confirm what version I'm on within OS application?

NicoleBruno
Valued Contributor

This is a weird question but how can I confirm what version I'm on within a OS application? I used to use the version on the top bar of the log in window in both excel or the OS windows app but I learned today that there's the possibility that our environment version is different than what shows there if the versions are not kept in sync by our IT team. 

Any direction would be helpful! 

Thanks!

-Nicole

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Henning
Valued Contributor

Hi, I have never heard about "there's the possibility that our environment version is different than what shows there if the versions are not kept in sync by our IT team". Can you elaborate? Happy to learn something new every day 🙂

My understanding so far has been that your versions need to be the same (i.e. the OS version you are using and the one you are accessing). Otherwise, you get an error message. So if there is something not in sync, I would expect that to happen.

In addition to the above ways to check your version, you can also check the version of your servers under System >> [select a server] >> Configuration >> [scroll to the bottom] 

Henning_0-1726554199032.png

This will also show you your app DB version as well as the framework DB version on top of the actual XF version you are using.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

TheJonG
Contributor II

There may be a better way but I just go to the log in screen and look in the top left.

TheJonG_0-1726523418387.png

PaulaMihalko_CS
New Contributor III

Hi Nicole! You can also check the System tab |  Logon Activity page - it shows the client version.

OneStream Solution Director at Clearsulting; OneStream Lead Architect Certified, OneStream Certified Associate in Administration

Henning
Valued Contributor

Hi, I have never heard about "there's the possibility that our environment version is different than what shows there if the versions are not kept in sync by our IT team". Can you elaborate? Happy to learn something new every day 🙂

My understanding so far has been that your versions need to be the same (i.e. the OS version you are using and the one you are accessing). Otherwise, you get an error message. So if there is something not in sync, I would expect that to happen.

In addition to the above ways to check your version, you can also check the version of your servers under System >> [select a server] >> Configuration >> [scroll to the bottom] 

Henning_0-1726554199032.png

This will also show you your app DB version as well as the framework DB version on top of the actual XF version you are using.

@NicoleBruno - on the odd occasion, if I am toggling between too many different versions, sessions can get co-mingled.  That said, such circumstances would likely only happen to implementors.

I am also curious the root of the concern.  Did something happen?  I doubt it is version on Excel vs OneStream WinApp as it usually checks and lets you know.

Cheers,
A.

Hi! This wasn't an issue of upgrading an environment and testing - this was a situation where PROD and DEV environments were updated to 8.2.2 but workstations were not set up with the most up to date version for log-in. I didn't know it was possible to log into a newer version from an older version link but here we are 🙂 
There was no issue with excel version compatibility because I was logging into a 8.2.1 window in both the windows shortcut link and the excel add-in log in. I guess if I started using the 8.2.2 windows and tried to log into the excel add-in without going through client updated, it would potentially give me an error but I'm not going to try, ha. 

NicoleBruno
Valued Contributor

@TheJonG That's how I usually do it but when I was on a call with OS support yesterday and I showed them that screen, they said that just means the workstation hadn't been updated because they could see our environment version was a higher version (8.2.2 vs 8.2.1). 

Thanks, @PaulaMihalko_CS - that is very helpful! Though that would only show a higher version if users are logging in there - it doesn't actually show what the environment version is. 

@Henning , that's what I thought too which is why I was caught off guard when the OS support person told me we were on 8.2.2 while my login screen says 8.2.1. Apparently recently you are able to be on different versions but some weird errors do pop up (hence my call with OS support) so it's not recommended. 

I did find where you suggested (System>Environment>select a database server>Configuration tab and scroll to the bottom) :

NicoleBruno_2-1726576493987.png

Thanks, all!