Metadata XML Extraction Issue when multiple add/delete for the same member

CarminaRosales
New Contributor III

Due to the complexity of the company structure, we have defined a calendar to release the multiple metadata changes requested by the business which span 1 week or more, during this time multiple changes occurs even in the same member so once we finish, the Metadata XML is extracted from the system. We observed that the changes applied on the same member are not applied in the same order that was executed ending with an incorrect result over the member affected, example:

# User action (manual)

April 1st : Adding Member A

April 2nd: Deleting Member A

April 3rd : Adding Member A

Result Expected from XML:

1. Add A
  2. Delete A
  3. Add A

Final Result Expected: ‘A’ stays

----

What XML really generates:

1. Add A
  2. Add A
  3. Delete A

Result : ‘A’ will get added and then deleted

So our requirement is that XML extracted from the Metadata follows the real sequence executed by the user.

5 REPLIES 5

JackLacava
Community Manager
Community Manager

I'm not sure I follow. The Load/Extract functionality should dump the state of trees at that point in time. Are you using the feature to limit extracts to changes in a certain time span? If so, and you're seeing that behaviour, I'd say that's a bug that you should talk to Support about. Did you open a case, or do you want me to do it...?

Yes, we're using time stamp filters and we're seeing that behavior, that was the reason we created the idea# do I need to register this as incident too ?

Carmina

Yes please, get in touch with Support. Unfortunately I cannot do that for you anymore.

jrk
New Contributor III

Are you using the metadata templates to generate the XML? And changes you referred as done in the template?

April 1st : Adding Member A

April 2nd: Deleting Member A

April 3rd : Adding Member A

In this case instead of adding an entry again on April 3rd.. remove the entry made on April 2nd

I don't think the metadata audit is done on the XML. As Jack mentioned the XML gives you only the current state. So this can be possible only if you have a process to generate the addition and delete XML outside OS and then load it into OneStream