Mid-Year Divestiture Reversing full YTD Data

jreis
New Contributor II

Hi All,

We have a client who wants to exclude a subsidiary from their reporting rollup starting mid year in May 2022. Unfortunately the consolidation view is set to YTD so it appears that when we switch the consolidation percentage to zero then it reverses all of the YTD data for the whole year opposed to just excluding the data beginning in May.

Is there a simple solution to resolve this? Or is a business rule required when divesting mid year? It seems like a requirement that should be pretty common and have a pretty straightforward solution like in Hyperion but we haven't had any luck so far.

Any thoughts or guidance is greatly appreciated.

PercentConsol.jpgReversalMonth.jpgConsolView.jpg

Best,

Joe

9 REPLIES 9

JackLacava
Community Manager
Community Manager
  1.  click Remove Stored Item to delete that 0 you assigned at year level
  2.  expand that 2019, clicking on the little black triangle to the left of it. Keep expanding until you find May
  3. select May and set the value to 0 there. It will be used for all following periods.
  4. ...
  5. Profit! 😉

jreis
New Contributor II

Hi Jack,

Appreciate the quick response. Sorry it's not clearly called out in the original screenshot but we actually do currently have the 0 input at 2022M5 so in May. The issue is that instead of just ignoring the data for May through September it is also reversing the already loaded Jan through April YTD values which is creating a massive negative amount for all accounts at the top of the house for May 2022.

jreis_0-1667313510547.png

jreis_2-1667313613551.png

ChristianW
Valued Contributor

Hi Joe

The easiest solution is just to load (or copy i.e. with a datamanagement job) the Mai's information forward till the end of the year.

How is the Mai's balance sheet of the deconsolidated company looking? Is it already deconsolidated in the ERP? Or was it deconsolidated with a rule, or manually? Is it an international company with a foreighn currency (this adds some complexity if you're currency conversion is YTD)?

For the BS, I'm using a business rule to copy all end balances to a dedicated deconsolidation flow, with the returned earnings as a plug.

I hope this helps and regards

Christian

jreis
New Contributor II

Hi Christian,

Thank you so much for the response here!

That makes sense to pull the May YTD IncStmt data forward with a business rule - I will get started on writing this. I'm assuming you leveraged a consolidation rule running at C#Share attached to the cube so I will try that route.

Otherwise I am not sure I am entirely following what you mean on the balance sheet specifically with regards to the returned earnings plug element.

To answer your questions:

- The balance sheet looks ok in that it excludes the discontinued entity starting in May only with no weird reversals happening. That being said, after you're comment above I am thinking I may have to do something to get the Apr YTD Net Earnings to still flow through the Current portion of RE. Interestingly enough though the Balance Sheet is still in balance.

- Nothing has been deconsolidated in the ERP, they are still loading data as the legal sale is lingering longer than expected but they want it to be divested in the MGMT hierarchy starting in May 2022.

- There are 4 total base entities being divested (roll up to a sub-parent) and they are all in Mexican pesos currency. That being said they are converting periodically so hopefully I can dodge some complexity there.

Best,

Joe

jreis
New Contributor II

Hi Christian,

Do you possibly have an example of this BR you used to achieve this? I have been taking a shot at writing it in a rule attached to the cube so it runs every consolidation and I am not having any luck triggering it. I am wondering if I need to change the consolidation settings on the cube or leverage a different FinanceFunctionType than custom calculate.

jreis_0-1668536863454.png

TonyToniTone
Contributor II

Is your Cube View set to Periodic View?  I would expect that result with V#Periodic.  I did a quick test setting the Consolidation View to YTD on the Scenario and I don't have the same results.  When the consolidation happens, I'm seeing a 0 YTD at the immediate parent in March and it continues the same behavior when consolidating the next month in April.  If your results continue to not be as expected, then I suggest submitting a ticket to Support and running through your situation and configuration with the AAS group.  

TonyToniTone_0-1667326514403.png

camagruder
New Contributor III

We have a similar situation where we want to use Org by Period and the Actuals consolidation view is set to YTD.  We are testing changing the consolidation view to periodic and it appears to resolve the issue but I am worried about other impacts.  Curious as to why you couldn't just change the consolidation view?  Are you concerned about the performance impact or inaccurate data?

jreis
New Contributor II

Thanks for the response! Agreed changing the consolidation view was our preferred approach as well but when I went to test that in a Dev app I found that changing the consolidation view actually changed the final data in the actual scenario over multiple years when comparing back to production.

That being said, it is possible these differences could be due to specifically how we had our member formulas and/or business rules written. But because they are in a go-live state and there are multiple years of variances I am hesitant to make that switch and try to troubleshoot the data variance and rules across the entire app. Once I have time I think I am going to try the approach ChristianW mentioned above about creating just a new rule to carry the data for the remainder of the year and will report back on whether it is successful.

camagruder
New Contributor III

Thanks for the response. I wanted to follow-up and let you know that we did end of changing the consolidation view on the scenario to Periodic vs using a BR. We did a lot of testing and migrated it to production last week and have not had any issues.