Pre-aggregated Origin Members on a Hybrid Scenario

molly_lvc
New Contributor III

I set up a Hybrid Scenario with a Data Binding Type of "Copy Input Data from Source Scenario." I tried following the example in the Design and Reference Guide (below) for the Origin dimension, where the properties are as follows:

- Member Filters to Exclude: O#Top.DescendantsInclusive

- Pre-aggregated Members: O#Top=O#Import

molly_lvc_0-1668100101071.png

When force consolidating, I get data in both O#Import and O#Elimination, but O#Top for my source scenario and hybrid scenario agree. Is there any way to only copy data into O#Import?

As a side note, if I change Pre-aggregated Members to O#Top=O#Elimination, I only get data in O#Elimination.

Thanks!

Molly

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Henning
Valued Contributor

Hi Molly,

Can you use "Share Data from Source Scenario" instead? With the copy selection, you copy data from one scenario to another and then consolidate the new scenario, which then eliminates all IC data (and possibly custom rules) in the new scenario which is why you see data on O#Elimination I assume.

When you use "Share", the data will dynamically be displayed, without eliminating during a consolidation.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Henning
Valued Contributor

Hi Molly,

Can you use "Share Data from Source Scenario" instead? With the copy selection, you copy data from one scenario to another and then consolidate the new scenario, which then eliminates all IC data (and possibly custom rules) in the new scenario which is why you see data on O#Elimination I assume.

When you use "Share", the data will dynamically be displayed, without eliminating during a consolidation.

molly_lvc
New Contributor III

Hi Henning,

Unfortunately, I cannot use the "Share Data from Source Scenario" function because that is a read-only scenario and we plan to book entries in the new scenario. 

Thanks for your explanation of the "Copy Input Data from Source Scenario." That makes sense to me and I think it's something we will be okay with.

Thanks for your help!

Molly

Hi Henning,

What is the best solutions to follow when needing to use Hybrid Scenario design, but the target scenario data needs to be edited?

Share Data from Source Scenario would be the preference due to performance, but its a read only version.

Copy Input Data from Source Scenario (like Molly suggested) is therefore the "obvious" choice here, but it takes quite a while to run a copy as a force calculate needs to be executed instead of a calculate (which would be the preference).

Hi Jurgen,

hybrid scenarios are typically used to report on a slice of the original scenario's data in order to improve reporting performance. There are other use cases too, of course. 

If you need the target scenario data to be edited, then you cannot use the Share Data option.

Not sure what "quite a while" means, but the duration of a force calculate depends on many factors. First I would recommend limiting the members you actually copy to the destination scenario to only those needed. E.g. only the revenue account and UD3-UD8 Top to None (if applicable, depending on your individual requirements). That reduces the amount of data copied to the target scenario and therefor also the amount of data calculated in it. 

You can also set the ExecuteCopyDuringCalc to False as shown in the Design and Reference Guide section on Hybrid Scenarios and execute the copy from a data management step. Then only the copy is executed and not all of the other calculations that are active for the chosen scenario type. That approach is usually chosen as one does not always need to copy all data during each calculation (as you already know).

There is not always an answer that I can provide as to what is the best in a general sense as it always depends on the exact requirements. But limiting the copied data and using a data management step for the copy seem like appropriate first steps.

If you want to use the 'Share' path, you could also set up a dynamic member (e.g. in UD8) displaying the data from your source scenario plus the adjustments that the users enter on a specific adjustment member (e.g. also in UD8) in the target scenario. That would no longer use the Hybrid scenario settings but would eliminate the need to copy the source data. As I do not know your data model, I cannot assess if this suggestion fits in your case. But it is easily set up and you should be able to test it without much effort.