Saving calculated Cube View data for Confirmation Rules

MarcusH
Contributor III

We have a lot of Cube Views and most of them have multiple validations some of which are quite complex.
We also want to use Confirmation Rules to check that these Cube View validations have been cleared. The prospect of duplicating the Cube View validations in Confirmation Rules is not pleasant so we are looking for alternatives. We were thinking of adding a summary validation to every Cube View in the same place and then (somehow) saving that single value to an account with a split on UD6 for the Cube View. That would mean the Confirmation Rules are very simple to write. The question is can you save a value calculated on a Cube View to the Cube? The FormsEventHandler only references data that has been input (happy to be corrected on that). Suggestions on how to do this or a completely different approach are very welcome.

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4

OS_Pizza
Contributor III

Can you give an exmaple for cube view validation ? I might have a differnt apporach.

MarcusH
Contributor III

There are many different types of validation from a simple check that the balance sheet balances to checking the sum of the movements (manual input) total the balance (imported). The checks can be checking a single intersection or the sum of two intersections or the sum of two minus the sum of three and so on.

JackLacava
Community Manager
Community Manager

I wouldn't store anything. Just set up your checks in Dynamic Calc accounts or UDs, so that those accounts will return 0 or 1 when the check is passed or not; bring the accounts in your cube view (replacing your previous stuff), then use GetDataCell in your Confirmation Rules to simply retrieve that value. If the name of the account or UD is self explanatory (e.g. PositiveBalanceCheck), simply returning that as description of the error should be enough of a clue to figure out what should be corrected. 

In this way you've written your check once, in one place, and reference it from both CV and ConfRules.

MarcusH
Contributor III

Thanks Jack - I will have a look at that approach.