Text Values in Cubeview

JenJessel
New Contributor III

Looking for help to display Text data in a cube view.  I'm using the member filter below which works for every account type EXCEPT  DynamicCalc.   Account Type set under Settings in the Member Properties (see below). 

U8#Acct_Text3:V#Annotation

JenJessel_0-1675892602979.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

JackLacava
Community Manager
Community Manager

From what I can see, the engine will execute Dynamic Calcs in the usual order (i.e. Account first, then Flow, then UD1, etc etc). As soon as it finds a Stored Item, even one containing only comments, it executes that and stops.

In your case, you have a formula in the Account that probably returns a number; that is executed first, and nothing else gets a chance. Since the view is an annotation, that means you get a NoData cell (as documented in the Design guide). Your UD8 formula is never executed.

If you have a Dynamic account formula, you have to place any support for Annotation views in that formula.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

JackLacava
Community Manager
Community Manager

Well, Dynamic calcs will show what Dynamic calcs will return 😅 The actual member formula has to check whether the view is an annotation one (i.e. all the text-based ones like VarianceExplanation, Footer, etc) and return text accordingly. Example largely taken from snippet "UD8 Text1 as Annotation":

'This dynamic reporting member will show the Text1 property of each Entity as an Annotation
If api.View.IsAnnotationType(api.Pov.View.MemberId) Then
    'Return the Entity's Text1 setting for this text-based View member
    Return api.Entity.Text(1)
Else 
    'Return a NoData Datacell
    Return api.Data.CreateDataCellObject(0.0,True, False)
End If

Dynamic calcs don't store any values and don't have any default behaviour, they have to manually take care of everything in the formula - aggregations, annotation support, etc etc.

JenJessel
New Contributor III

Yes, my DynamicCalc is pulling back the result of my formula.  I am also looking for it to pull back the text data in Text3.  I am using the following formula in UD8.  This formula works in pulling back the data in the Text 3 field for all accounts types except a DynamicCalc Account type.  

JenJessel_0-1675957640627.png

JackLacava
Community Manager
Community Manager

From what I can see, the engine will execute Dynamic Calcs in the usual order (i.e. Account first, then Flow, then UD1, etc etc). As soon as it finds a Stored Item, even one containing only comments, it executes that and stops.

In your case, you have a formula in the Account that probably returns a number; that is executed first, and nothing else gets a chance. Since the view is an annotation, that means you get a NoData cell (as documented in the Design guide). Your UD8 formula is never executed.

If you have a Dynamic account formula, you have to place any support for Annotation views in that formula.

JenJessel
New Contributor III

Thank you.  I added to the account formula like you said and it is now working.

grillin7
New Contributor II

Hello JenJessel.

How are you?
I have the same issue, can you share with me how did you solve it? please

I have the following:

Return api.Data.GetDataCell("A#TotalSales2 - A#TotalPrimeCost2")

thank you

JenJessel
New Contributor III
I added the following code to the end of my formula as I was trying to pull back the text data in Text3 as well as the formula I had before code.  

Dim accountId As Integer = api.Pov.account.MemberId
Dim accountText3 As String = api.account.Text(accountId,3).ToString
Return accountText3