User Inactivity Timeout - What Constitutes an 'Action' in Excel?

KeithC
New Contributor

We currently have our 'User Inactivity Timeout' setting to 30 minutes. We have users that are being 'timed out' in the excel add-in before that time threshold. 

Question- What constitutes an 'action' for HSGET formulas or Quick Views that would reset the 30 minute timeout?

- Refreshing a sheet with no change in Metadata selections?

- Refreshing a sheet with just HSGET formulas?

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

JJones
New Contributor II

Refreshing the sheet should reset the 30 minute timeout setting for User Inactivity Timeout.  The user inactivity timeout would be tied to a user who has not had any action on an application server in the environment for 30 minutes.  In order to count as an action, it would just be a request that was submitted to the application server, a Sheet Refresh would count as a call to the application server even if the metadata was not changed on the sheet as it has received a call to retrieve the data again.

As a test I set User Inactivity Timeout to 10 minutes and created an excel sheet with a cube view connection.  I left excel for 10 minutes and then came back and refreshed and my session was timed out.  

I then logged back in and refreshed the sheet and then set a timer for 10 minutes and before 10 minutes I refreshed the sheet and then went back when it would have been the 10 minute expiration and I was still logged in.

Hope that helps answer your question.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

JJones
New Contributor II

Refreshing the sheet should reset the 30 minute timeout setting for User Inactivity Timeout.  The user inactivity timeout would be tied to a user who has not had any action on an application server in the environment for 30 minutes.  In order to count as an action, it would just be a request that was submitted to the application server, a Sheet Refresh would count as a call to the application server even if the metadata was not changed on the sheet as it has received a call to retrieve the data again.

As a test I set User Inactivity Timeout to 10 minutes and created an excel sheet with a cube view connection.  I left excel for 10 minutes and then came back and refreshed and my session was timed out.  

I then logged back in and refreshed the sheet and then set a timer for 10 minutes and before 10 minutes I refreshed the sheet and then went back when it would have been the 10 minute expiration and I was still logged in.

Hope that helps answer your question.

Please sign in! KeithC