change Workflow Status from data management

pavel-wbr
New Contributor II

Hi all, 

I use the dashboard to trigger data import from external database. After successfull import I want to make the workflow step (type Workspace) complete by calling SetWorkflowStatus.

Strange thing is that is does work when I directly call the Extensibility rule from Button, but it does not when I call the same rule from data management process. Do you know why this happens and how can this be bypassed? 

Thanks for help!

Pavel

6 REPLIES 6

adoat
New Contributor II

Hello Pavel,

My guess is that you are using in your function some "args." that are coming only from the Dashboard args "library".

If you manage to find which one is a Dashboard one, and replace by either a DataManagement args or the Pov of the data management job or any other variable, you should be able to pull it.

Not having your code makes it difficult to identify exactly what would be the cause.

Hope this helps, otherwise feel free to drop the code here and I can give it a quick look.

Kind regards,

Aymar

FredLucas
Contributor

Hi @pavel-wbr,

If by "directly call the extensibility rule from button" you mean the execute extender rule button (next to the compile rules button) and not a dashboard button, then my guess would be that your code might not be under the right "case" statement.

If you open a new Extensibility Rule you'll see that there're two areas, the "Case Is = ExtenderFunctionType.Unknown" that executes from that button and the "Case Is = ExtenderFunctionType.ExecuteDataMgmtBusinessRuleStep" that gets executed when launched from a data management step.

If this is the case, you should be ok just by moving or copying and pasting the code to this last area of the rule.

Hope this helps.

pavel-wbr
New Contributor II

Hi Aymar, 

here is the code I use:

Public Function CompleteWorkflow(ByVal si As SessionInfo, ByVal wfClusterPk As WorkflowUnitClusterPk) As XFSelectionChangedTaskResult
		Try				
			Dim selectionChangedTaskResult As New XFSelectionChangedTaskResult()

'Get the workflow Info object, retrieve and the Workspace Workflow task and set its status ti COMPLETED	
			Dim wfStatus As WorkflowInfo = BRApi.Workflow.Status.GetWorkflowStatus(si, wfClusterPk, True)
			Dim wfTask As TaskInfo =  wfStatus.GetTask(New Guid(SharedConstants.WorkflowKeys.Tasks.Workspace))
			If Not wfTask Is Nothing Then

If (debug) Then ' DEBUG - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
					BRApi.ErrorLog.LogMessage(si, "#DEBUG: IDB_GeneralHelper / CompleteWorkflow: ", $"task: {wfTask.Description} || status: {wfTask.Status}"
					)
				End If ' - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If wfTask.Status <> WorkflowStatusTypes.Completed Then
					'Update the workspace workflow to COMPLETED
					Dim wfRegClusterDesc As String = BRApi.Workflow.General.GetWorkflowUnitClusterPkDescription(si, wfClusterPk)

BRApi.Workflow.Status.SetWorkflowStatus(si, wfClusterPk, StepClassificationTypes.Workspace, WorkflowStatusTypes.Completed, StringHelper.FormatMessage(Me.m_MsgWorkflowCompleted, wfRegClusterDesc), "", Me.m_MsgWorkflowCompletedReasonButton, Guid.Empty)							

If (debug) Then ' DEBUG - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
						BRApi.ErrorLog.LogMessage(si, "#DEBUG: IDB_GeneralHelper / CompleteWorkflow: ", "step completed!"
						)
					End If ' - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

End If
			End If

selectionChangedTaskResult.IsOK = True							
			selectionChangedTaskResult.ShowMessageBox = False
			selectionChangedTaskResult.WorkflowWasChangedByBusinessRule = True

Return selectionChangedTaskResult							

Catch ex As Exception
			Throw ErrorHandler.LogWrite(si, New XFException(si, ex))
		End Try			
	End Function	

I am sure is processed it creates a debug record in Error log.

I use no args here.

It should work, I have no idea why it doesn't. 

Thanks for help!

Pavel

Hi @pavel-wbr,

Have you tried refreshing the application or moving to a different workflow and get back to the one you expected to have been updated to understand if this could be due to the lack of the refresh?

Only dashboard extender rules are able to return a XFSelectionChangedTaskResult object which is the one that contains the info required for OS to refresh the workspace. If you trigger a DataManagement Sequence that triggers a dashboard extender rule your Workspace won't get refreshed automatically and you'll have to manually do it to see the outcome.

If you are looking for a way to trigger have the Workspace updated and also trigger other Data Management steps, you could have the dashboard extender launching the data management sequence for you. You might find this post interesting: https://community.onestreamsoftware.com/t5/Rules/Running-DM-package-from-the-BR-and-completing-the-w...

pavel-wbr
New Contributor II

I think I found the solution, the dashboard needs to be refreshed at the end. Then I create the data management process it runs in backround and does not refresh the dashboard!

This is the problem 😄 ‌‌

pavelwbr_1-1717512271971.png

The problem is how to force refresh of the dashboard from data management task...

Great news, that's aligned with my suspicion then.

You might want to review my reply in order to solve that refresh issue 🙂