prevent users to work on wrong periods

Marcello
Contributor

Hi,

is there an easy way to prevent users to work on wrong periods?

It seems that all periods in Onestream are open for data load.

This request is mostly related to statutory consolidation.

My concern is that some end user can start working of Jul 2042 (instead of July 2022) after realizing after a week that he is working on the wrong period.

I know that in Hyperion the admin had to "initialize" the data unit setting the "Review level" as "First pass". If status is not "First pass" nobody can work.

Instead in Cognos Controller the same feature is achieved with the "Submission" creation, where the consolidator selects Scenario and Period to open and which forms are assigned to the specified submission. If Cognos submission is not set obody can work.

I am wondering if there a standard feature in Onestream to lock all periods and then enable them month by month?

Thanks in advance for the help,

Marcello 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

PeterFu
Contributor II

Hi Marcello,

OneStream is by default open for all periods, no need of opening periods like HFM. I assume Historical data will be locked once completed. You can lock future years and reopen the periods when you get there (can be done in a batch job, not doing one-by-one).

In addition, you can set the End-year under Application properties to just 1 - 2 years ahead (depending on your Planning and Forecast processes). Then you do not need to lock that many periods. See print screen below.

PeterFu_0-1658408866380.png

Peter

View solution in original post

TonyToniTone
Contributor II

A couple of ways you can do it.  

1.  Like Peter mentioned, you can batch lock all Workflows.  You would have to do it by year.  Then unlock the period each month that you would like to load

TonyToniTone_0-1658429245333.png

2.  The second option would be to control data loading and data processing by Scenario Type through the "Enforce Global POV" option in Application Properties

TonyToniTone_1-1658429442292.png

This way, the Admin can control what period users can process for any Scenario assigned the Actual Scenario Type.  In addition, you can align the Import step to the Global POV.  This can be done by setting up the Time and Scenario Dimensions in the Data Source to use Global Datakey Time and Global Datakey Scenario.  Another step to help ensure that Global POV drives the control needed.  

TonyToniTone_2-1658429861211.png

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

PeterFu
Contributor II

Hi Marcello,

OneStream is by default open for all periods, no need of opening periods like HFM. I assume Historical data will be locked once completed. You can lock future years and reopen the periods when you get there (can be done in a batch job, not doing one-by-one).

In addition, you can set the End-year under Application properties to just 1 - 2 years ahead (depending on your Planning and Forecast processes). Then you do not need to lock that many periods. See print screen below.

PeterFu_0-1658408866380.png

Peter

Hi Peter

first of all it's a pleasure to get in touch with you after a very long period (could be 15 years?)

Thanks for the answer to my very basic questions.

Marcello

TonyToniTone
Contributor II

A couple of ways you can do it.  

1.  Like Peter mentioned, you can batch lock all Workflows.  You would have to do it by year.  Then unlock the period each month that you would like to load

TonyToniTone_0-1658429245333.png

2.  The second option would be to control data loading and data processing by Scenario Type through the "Enforce Global POV" option in Application Properties

TonyToniTone_1-1658429442292.png

This way, the Admin can control what period users can process for any Scenario assigned the Actual Scenario Type.  In addition, you can align the Import step to the Global POV.  This can be done by setting up the Time and Scenario Dimensions in the Data Source to use Global Datakey Time and Global Datakey Scenario.  Another step to help ensure that Global POV drives the control needed.  

TonyToniTone_2-1658429861211.png

Marcello
Contributor

Tony,

many thanks for the screenshots related to the batch lock.

Marcello

You could also use Data Cell conditional input and just open periods. You can make it work similarly to Hyperion Planning Start and End Period.