Combobox Multiple select option.

Madesh
New Contributor III

Is it possible to have multi select option in Combo box ( Dashboard component)?

Thanks & Regards,

Madesh K

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

ChristianW
Valued Contributor

Hi Madesh

At the moment, there is not multi select option for combo boxes.

There is a multiselect option for combo boxes in the format settings. Sergey is right and I'm wrong.

As a work around, we are using grid objects or tree objects.

You can embed them in the main dashboard or use them with a dialog (dashboard). The dialog can be launched with a button and pass back a parameter. Both solutions will return a comma separated list of member names.

The grid object can do it very straight forward, because of the multi select feature mentioned by Sergey. For the tree view, you need to code a business rule that implements an multi select data adapter.

I hope this helps and regards

Christian

ChristianW_2-1642513053499.png

ChristianW_0-1642512970016.png

View solution in original post

ChristianW
Valued Contributor

Sorry for offering a complicated (and wrong) answer to this question. The solution is much simpler, there is a multi select option for combo boxes in the format settings (list box has it as well):

ChristianW_0-1642597040361.png

IsMultiSelect=True

ChristianW_1-1642597113853.png

Cheers

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20

Sergey
Contributor III

Hi Madesh,

In the Display Format parameters, there is a "is multiselect" option that you might use in case you need to activate multi select in combo box :

Sergey_0-1642502537350.png

Regards,

ChristianW
Valued Contributor

Sorry, you are of cause right with your posting.

ChristianW
Valued Contributor

Hi Madesh

At the moment, there is not multi select option for combo boxes.

There is a multiselect option for combo boxes in the format settings. Sergey is right and I'm wrong.

As a work around, we are using grid objects or tree objects.

You can embed them in the main dashboard or use them with a dialog (dashboard). The dialog can be launched with a button and pass back a parameter. Both solutions will return a comma separated list of member names.

The grid object can do it very straight forward, because of the multi select feature mentioned by Sergey. For the tree view, you need to code a business rule that implements an multi select data adapter.

I hope this helps and regards

Christian

ChristianW_2-1642513053499.png

ChristianW_0-1642512970016.png

Madesh
New Contributor III

Thanks Christian, Will implement it.

Hi Christian, that second screenshot of yours is a really cool solution I'm trying to replicate. I need to present the user the members of a dimension as a hierarchy. They'll pick multiple members from the hierarchy which will return as a comma separated list. I could use a list box with multi-select, but that doesn't show a hierarchy. I see your solution exactly matches what I'm looking for. Would you mind if I asked you for some direction on how you wrote that BR that allows multi select on, what is that, a tree view? Thanks so much

Ashok
New Contributor III

Hi Christian,

I am looking for sample code to build the custom tree view  (not same as what is in the original hierarchy) of members in any dimension to present in a dashboard for use to select a member. similar to what you have in your screenshot. would you be albe to share some steps on how you achieved it?

seburn
New Contributor III

Hi Christian. I'm familiar with the tree view object but not familiar with multiselect option you have here.  Can I ask what you are passing in as an example to the XFTreeItem? 

e.g. Return New XFTreeItem(uniqueName, mbrName, color, True, True, True, False, XFImageFileSourceType.ClientImage, XFClientImageTypes.StatusGrayBall.Name, mbrName, treeChildren, TriStateBool.TrueValue) 

I was playing with the variables to try to achieve the same e.g. passing in TriStateBool.TrueValue, etc but without success for enabling selection (only passing single param at a time).  Any pointers would be most appreciated.  It's very cool 🙂

Cheers

Sam

seburn
New Contributor III

seburn_0-1675012628562.png

Ashok
New Contributor III

Hi Sam,

I checked with support as well and they confirmed that it is not possible yet. I have filled out an enhacement form. 

Krishna
Contributor III

Is it Dashboard Extender rule ?

ChristianW
Valued Contributor

It uses a dashboard data set rule to render the tree object. Because of the rule, I can individually change the icon of the tree view, based on a second parameter that holds the listed items. It isn't standard multi-select like with combo boxes, but it works.

SeanV
New Contributor III

Christian,

You mentioned "For the tree view, you need to code a business rule that implements an multi select data adapter."

Would you have any code that you could share on this or expand on your answer?

Thank you

MJ1705
New Contributor II

Hi Christain,

Can you share a sample of the BR you are using to get a Tree View please?

Thanks

ChristianW
Valued Contributor

At the moment, I'm busi traveling, but i will try to post something, if I'm back.

miwy
New Contributor II

Hi Christain,

Is it possible to receive a sample code for this second screen option?

ChristianW
Valued Contributor

Sorry for offering a complicated (and wrong) answer to this question. The solution is much simpler, there is a multi select option for combo boxes in the format settings (list box has it as well):

ChristianW_0-1642597040361.png

IsMultiSelect=True

ChristianW_1-1642597113853.png

Cheers

Hi Christian,

Thank you for the solution above.

How would you connect the parameter in a Cube View, when the Multi-Select combo box is being used?

Context: I am looking to implement a multi-select combo box dropdown to select multiple entities and get an aggregated value in the Cube view.

Thank you in advance.

Hamza

ChristianW
Valued Contributor

Hi Hamza, E#root.list(|!parameter!|) should do the job. Cheers

apmorgan91
New Contributor

Is there a way to add a select All option, one that will mark all items when active and deselect all items when deactivated? 

The drop down box takes the last parameter value(s) as starting point. You can delete the parameter or set it with all values, using a button.